News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Nice little trip, Abe! Gotta drive them. I'm leaving for Red River, NM. early afternoon. I'll be doing some rapid climbing my self later. Low desert to high desert to mountain forests. :burnout:
PS.......this is the first long road trip since installing the replacement engine. It'll be around 700 miles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

abe_lugo

Be safe out out the Rich.  Have a good roadtrip!
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

hiball3985

Good for you, have fun. I'm jealous, haven't done a road trip in months :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Fairlane62

Have fun Rich.  Red River is really nice scenery.

RICH MUISE

Elevation was a bummer at 9360 ft! I got there about 7 after driving again thru some gorgeous scenery. I've been there 6 or 8 times. Anyway, tried sleeping, from 9:30 to 2 am, couldn't fall asleep, even with my Oxegen attached to me. Finally thru in the towel and drove 45 miles to Cimmeron, where the elevation is 2500 feet lower. Got 3 hours sleep, made it back to Red River in time.The car didn't do well at first, but after 4 or 5 starts, it ran great even over a few mountain passes at 10K feet+. 700 miles roundtrip, and the first long voyage for the replacement engine couldn't have gone any better.
Typical New Mexico show........11 tri-five chevys in the 100 or so cars. Mine was the only 50's Ford.

abe_lugo

Wow.  Almost 10k elevation, wow.  Cool. 
Glad your trip is going well. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

djfordmanjack

Just got back from my 600 miles round trip to Croatia. 57 worked great with no other hick ups than adding a quart of oil (mostly due to oil loss at the rear main seal) and adjusting idle and mixture screws at sea level. I will post further pics in my build thread later.

mustang6984

SWEET! Great pic too!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

I am sooo dependent on my 7" GPS Navigation screen in my Expedition that I am lost in my old cars.  We are on the fifth day of a five city tour/cruise-in.  The small towns aren't too bad but when we get in larger cities, rural roads, summer vacation traffic and construction....well we've gotten along with turn-by-turn instructions and the slow updating phone GPS.  Today, we were trying to get to a photo shoot under the BLUE WATER Bridge to Canada.  With 10 turns in 1/2 mile and signal interference from the bridge, the GPS wouldn't update and I missed a turn. I learned a long time ago not to get rattled and go to the next light to turn and come back.  Today...the unthinkable!  I went to the next light and was glad to see a dedicated left turn light and it was green.  As I rolled up to the light, I focused on the heavy traffic from all directions and the street I was turning on to had active construction and a lane closure.  I don't know how I caught it but a little kid on a bike disregarded the no-walk signal.  I pounced on the clutch and brake pedals, locked all four tires with a lot of screaming and smoke.  The kid laid his bike down and I felt the thud in the steering wheel as he hit my right front tire.  I've heard the thud before and it is a thud you never forget and never ever want to hear again.  The kid jumped up, hopped on his bike and with eyes the size of pancakes, rode off.  Of course, he flipped me off!  I suddenly realized there was a huge cloud of black smoke and really lot noise.  I had stood on the brake pedal so hard that it was nearly to the flood and my big foot had also crushing the gas pedal to the floor.  Evidently the well built 460 can survive free revving against the rev limiter set to 5500 RPMs.  I waited forever for the light to turn green again and I completed the turn and found a shady spot to set and get myself together.  We did make the Blue Water Bridge photo shoot and the downtown Port Huron car show.  The short drive did yield some car damage.  I suspect one pushrod damage (one ticks louder) and I may have damaged the hydraulic clutch master or linkage.  We will start limping home tomorrow (200 +/- miles).   

Tom S

hiball3985

What a scary situation. Glad the damage is minimal it could have been so much worst if the kid was injured or killed.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Getting used to "The lady in the dashboard" telling where to go is hard to get away from!  The 08 Shelby was the last "new" car I had that did not have NAV.  I guess we get lazy as technology "helps" us do things we used to do on our own.........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

I still carry a Rand McNalley in my truck when out and about on the highways and byways. Been my addiction for 50 years.
Use the GPS in the phone mostly these days, but I like maps as well.
Plus I know lot of times the GPS will send me to toll roads when I know there are ways to go without them...so the Rand comes out.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Had to be really scary, Gary. Glad for the both of you that he wasn't hurt.
GPS/VS map...............depends on what I'm doing. If in an unknown city, Gps is the way to go. Get in a city like Dallas, and there's no way you're going to read a map while your trying to navigate the high speed freeways. GPSs are also great for finding gas stations, etc.  When I'm on a road trip, it can only be a road atlas......you can't study your options on where you want to explore on a GPS.
Siri is a wonderful companion on roadtrips........"Siri, how far am I from ....", Siri, what's the altitude in ............."

Speaking of road stuff......anyone know if there is a website that lists historical markers with info?

car show in town this Saturday on old 66 in the historic district.

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker