News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

More questions! This time it's door seals.

Started by hotroddonnie, 2013-12-08 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

Installing my door seals today unless some one tells me I'm missing something. In the instructions it's telling me to install the extrusion, well that's my question.....extrusion? I'm guessing it's some sort of clip. I'm younger then most so go easy. Thanks HRD.

hiball3985

I would think the extrusion is the seal.. What instructions are you reading?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Youngins! Geeez....an "extrusion" is made when malable materials are forced thru an extrusion die which gradually changes the shape of the material..sort of like morphing a photograph. I don't know for sure, but in the case of rubber, I suspect the "ingredients" of the rubber compound are mixed at one end of the extrusion machine, and it is forced thru the dies as the rubber is setting up. The most common material used for producing extrusions is probably aluminum.
So, the short answer to your question is...it's the rubber.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

Well having surfed the Internet I've come realize that maybe extrusion is not a clip!

hotroddonnie

Okay, I understand extrusion. Thanks Rich for being so smart and making me look stupid in front of the Internet world, or did I do that on my own?

RICH MUISE

Probably not, only because I'm not remembering any clips that were installed with the seal. Not to confuse things, but a clip wouldn't be called an extrusion, but could be made from an extrusion.
Tip....when you glue your seal on, watch the area near the latch where the door lock clip goes. When I did mine, I cut a piece of matboard to slide in the slot for the clip, and cover the lip of the door so glue wouldn't get on it in that 1 1/2 or so area. After I got the seal attached, I just pulled out the matboard.

RICH MUISE

guess I should have used a smiley...sorry about that. Sure didn't mean to offend...I thought you were trying to understand what an extrusion was. :003:

hotroddonnie

Thanks Rich, :001: All you guys have been helpful, wish I was a member when I first started. HRD

hotroddonnie

Hiball3985 your right, it is the rubber, which I had no idea, just the way I read the instructions made me think there was some sort of extrusion clips. So I'm going out to glue on my seals Thanks again....I'll keep you posted on my success.

hiball3985

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-12-08 11:59
Hiball3985 your right, it is the rubber, which I had no idea, just the way I read the instructions made me think there was some sort of extrusion clips. So I'm going out to glue on my seals Thanks again....I'll keep you posted on my success.
Donnie, please do keep us posted both on what vender you got them from and the results.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

F570RD

Just remember that the door will be a little tuff to shut with the new seal.Especialy with a sedan.Do not adjust around this.It will find itself in time.

Ecode70D

Rich
   You need to get away from that cold weather and snow in Texas.  Could you just come out here where it's warm and install my door seals for me?   This past week We've been having a heat wave in the upper 40's.
  Thank you very much.   Jay.   

Donnie..   Sorry I'm invading your thread.

hotroddonnie

Hiball3985 used Dennis Carpenter, and it went well drivers door so far, about 30 min to do. Passenger side later, I found something else to do next.

hotroddonnie

F57ford It definitely is tuff to close, but like you said I'll just give it time.

hotroddonnie

Jay all good. Are you getting ready to do door seals as well?