News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ranchero project and 2dr. business coupe

Started by 57chero, 2013-12-28 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-01-01 10:31
     Funny that you guys mentioned that about the possibility of 57's slipping through the line with the new to be FE engines.   I heard rumors about the same thing.  Wonder where they are today.
     It's a known fact  that Ford made at least two 57 Fords for Robert Mitchum with Lincoln engines for the movie Thunder Road.

There will be one in my Garage Jay!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Do you have one of those two 57's that Robert Mitchum ordered with the Lincoln engines?
If so , It must be worth some $$$$.  J>>>---------->

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-01-01 10:45
  Do you have one of those two 57's that Robert Mitchum ordered with the Lincoln engines?
If so , It must be worth some $$$$.  J>>>---------->

:002:
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

sprink88

You guys say ouch at that coupe, Here in Minnesota, if the frame is good, it's a restorable car. Rust and dent all can be fixed. I think his price is a little steep for it. It's a 1000-1500 car here. I wouldn't blink an eye at that car if the price was right.
~Chris

Ecode70D

Quote from: sprink88 on 2014-01-01 11:15
You guys say ouch at that coupe, Here in Minnesota, if the frame is good, it's a restorable car. Rust and dent all can be fixed. I think his price is a little steep for it. It's a 1000-1500 car here. I wouldn't blink an eye at that car if the price was right.

Sprink
  I can't agree with you more.
That's a very restorable car.  Sure wish that pictures were taken of the back seat area.

sprink88

Ecode, Your right, I want to see the back seat too. I didn't know Ford still made "Business" coupes in 57.

I want to see that Cadillac frenched antenna too. What is that? Is that more special than regular frenching?
~Chris

RICH MUISE

Sprink, Ecode 70D and Zapato both have business coupes..probably others here as well, I'm just not remembering. "Ecode 70D"...... the '70D' in his forum name is the model designation for the bus. coupe. That's why I was disapointed to not be able to read the id plate on the craiglist car...wanted to see the model#. Makes them a pretty rare car just by the model #, then of course when you add an E code engine to it like Jay's....
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

There were no production 57 fords with F.E. motors, prototype and test mules, sure. The early 58 had 332 and later offered the 352. As for the movie Thunder Road it was filmed in 1958 not 57 . I have never heard the story about any Lincoln motors being used in the movie. And I have been a Lincoln fan forever, and have one in my Ranchero. Also if you look close when Robert Mitchem first drives the new 57 into the store, it has an Illinois license plate on the front. Growing up in northern Illinois, we were told a lot of the shine cars were built in Chicago by the Granatelli bros. speed shop. Andy at one time owned McCullough Paxton and was the head of S.T.P.
Andy Granatelli passed away on Dec.29th. Another of my old hero's gone. R.I.P.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

BWhitmore

Sorry to hear about Andy Granatelli's passing.  About 20-25 years ago I was involved in the Plymouth Troubleshooting Contest.  My job was to solicit sponsors.  Anyway I had an opportunity to call on Andy in his office here in So Cal.  He had just had a booked published and gave me an autographed copy and asked his secretary to take our picture together with the book.  I am pretty sure I still have the book (if I can find it), but I pretty sure the picture is long gone.  It was a Polaroid.  Andy was a real nice guy - strong businessman.  He did give me 200 STP stickers for the students.

Ecode70D

Quote from: wildhog on 2014-01-01 12:57
There were no production 57 fords with F.E. motors, prototype and test mules, sure. The early 58 had 332 and later offered the 352. As for the movie Thunder Road it was filmed in 1958 not 57 . I have never heard the story about any Lincoln motors being used in the movie. And I have been a Lincoln fan forever, and have one in my Ranchero. Also if you look close when Robert Mitchem first drives the new 57 into the store, it has an Illinois license plate on the front. Growing up in northern Illinois, we were told a lot of the shine cars were built in Chicago by the Granatelli bros. speed shop. Andy at one time owned McCullough Paxton and was the head of S.T.P.
Andy Granatelli passed away on Dec.29th. Another of my old hero's gone. R.I.P.

Tom
       Robert Mitchum's son Jim goes to a lot of the Thunder road meets/reunions.  If someone on the forum happens to get a chance to talk to him, he will no doubt clear up that story.  Jay

VwDrvFnd

Called the guy About the Rear windows bars, He said he wasn't sure if it was a homemade thing or an aftermarket item and if it was aluminum or stainless, He said he would get back to me and let me know if he was willing to let it go as a separate item from the whole. Guy says he has over 45 cars on that lot!

Quote from: Lou on 2013-12-29 16:43
That double bar across the rear window is a aftermarket thing sold to stop loose items in the rear from going thru the window when loading or on a hard stop.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Ecode70D

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-01-01 15:24
Called the guy About the Rear windows bars, He said he wasn't sure if it was a homemade thing or an aftermarket item and if it was aluminum or stainless, He said he would get back to me and let me know if he was willing to let it go as a separate item from the whole. Guy says he has over 45 cars on that lot!

VwDrvFnd
If you happen to call him again, would you please ask him if the business coupe still  has the rear package tray.  Lots of us sure would like to know for sure. Thanks Jay

VwDrvFnd

Never heard back from the guy. From what he said the place where he lives is not that close to where the cars are and he wasn't parting out the cars. Whole car or nothing kida deal.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?