News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

BULB SOCKETS AND WIRE CONNECTIONS

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-12-29 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm putting the finishing touches on my 57 custom and was wondering what you coat your bulb sockets, and the ends of the wires with where they plug in.  Now that everything is clean and working I would like to keep it that way and stop corrosion from forming.  I did an internet search on  dielectric and found pros and cons.
    What are you guys and gals using to fight corrosion on electric pieces and parts??

rmk57

I've never used anything, but my car is pretty much a fair weather car and is kept in a dry garage.
Never had a problem with corrosion.
At work we use dielectric in our salt spreaders and rarely have problems with lights not working
and there in the harshest environment you could have.

Randy 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

Back in the old days we used a dab of wheel bearing grease.

Ro0n.

petew

Dielectric grease will do the trick. I used to buy it from West Marine but I'm sure you can find it on the net or perhaps Radio Shack.

hiball3985

Quote from: petew on 2013-12-30 07:53
Dielectric grease will do the trick. I used to buy it from West Marine but I'm sure you can find it on the net or perhaps Radio Shack.
You can get it at any autoparts store, Permatex and a few others supply it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

I'm getting a tube of the Permatex one dropped off tomorrow.  It seems like It will do the trick for what I want to do.
   Does anyone remember  in the 60's and 70' when they used some stuff that looked like peanut butter on the bulb and headlight sockets?  Whatever it was, it worked real well .

sprink88

haha, I remember that stuff. It did do well keeping moisture out too
~Chris

Ecode70D

Sprink88

That's the question...

What was that stuff that they used in those days?????

SkylinerRon

It was wheel bearing grease.

Ron.

Ecode70D

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2014-01-01 19:41
It was wheel bearing grease.

Ron.

Well OK Ron.... That's what I'll use in the parking light sockets.  I don't want them to get all corroded again
Jay

gasman826

LUBRIPLATE is the product Ford used from the mid '70s as a dielectric sealer for DuraSpark connections.  It looks like white grease and was used liberally on all the connections to seal moisture infiltration into the wires, enhance the connection and prevent corrosion.  My can is 40+ years old and the part # has faded from the label.  I have used this on bulb sockets, battery cables, trailer/truck wire connections with no failures.  Ford also used another semi clear gel dielectric (provided in a Ford labeled tube) for spark plug boots, rotor ends and other inside the distributor parts to provide corrosion resistance and seal stray voltage/noise.

Ecode70D

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-01-02 08:31
LUBRIPLATE is the product Ford used from the mid '70s as a dielectric sealer for DuraSpark connections.  It looks like white grease and was used liberally on all the connections to seal moisture infiltration into the wires, enhance the connection and prevent corrosion.  My can is 40+ years old and the part # has faded from the label.  I have used this on bulb sockets, battery cables, trailer/truck wire connections with no failures.  Ford also used another semi clear gel dielectric (provided in a Ford labeled tube) for spark plug boots, rotor ends and other inside the distributor parts to provide corrosion resistance and seal stray voltage/noise.

Thanks Gary
    I'll bet that's what I was asking about when I said that it looked like peanut butter when it aged a little.

hiball3985

I think the dielectric grease used on electrical parts is the same silicone grease they use on brake calipers..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

In another post I made a few days ago about the heat shrinkable boots used in Indy Race cars to seal electrical terminals they coat the terminal with silicone (it may have been dielectric grease)before applying the heat shrink boot.  Probably a headache when you have to diassemble the terminal but I am sure it eliminates the corrosion. 

Ecode70D

Bill
    It sounds like it can't hurt.  Jay