How about an "I can't believe I just did that' thread I'll go first!

Started by hotroddonnie, 2013-12-30 20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

davemustane1

I got one for you guys... I got my ranchwagon from my grandparents and drove it back from Florida when I was 18 and eventually hooked up with this girl that had a garage and I thought we were in love and going to be together forever... what do 18 year olds know, but any ways I took the whole car apart to start restoring and a few months into it we broke up and in a few days just to punish me she scrapped the motor and some of the body panels. I should never had taken the car apart... and I'm 37 now so the car has been apart for almost 20 years. like I said what do 18 year olds know.
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: davemustane1 on 2014-01-13 12:58
I got one for you guys... I got my ranchwagon from my grandparents and drove it back from Florida when I was 18 and eventually hooked up with this girl that had a garage and I thought we were in love and going to be together forever... what do 18 year olds know, but any ways I took the whole car apart to start restoring and a few months into it we broke up and in a few days just to punish me she scrapped the motor and some of the body panels. I should never had taken the car apart... and I'm 37 now so the car has been apart for almost 20 years. like I said what do 18 year olds know.

I would have had that girl in 100 different mason jars, 2 for every state.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

davemustane1

at least I did not marry her, turns out she ended up a guy I knew and about two months later they were married and now she has 3 kids by 3 different dudes and got big so it worked out good for me.
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

Limey57

One of my goofs was rolling the Ranchero body onto it's side before checking that the area to the side was clear.  The roof hit the welder as it went over leaving a 3" crease above the windshield that needs sorting.....  When I rolled it back upright I checked everything was clear but I hit one of the workshop lights as it was rolled back upright.

There's many more, some I've forgotten, some I daren't admit!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hotroddonnie

That's all you guys got! Well a friend of mine installed his shocks upside down, well they looked fine when I was.....I mean, when he was laying under the car.

Limey57

Filling a diesel car with gas.
Fitting a new exhaust under a car supported on axle stands (on a hot day, on an asphalt drive) wondering why the car was slowly getting closer to me (as the stands sunk into the melting asphalt).
Using cheap Chinese ratchet straps to tie a car onto a trailer then watching in the rear view mirror as the car on the trailer launched itself into the back of the towcar during an emergency stop.
Buying a Chevy.
Admitting the above.
Saying "yes" during the wedding with wife number one rather than running.
Buying my first automatic car after years of manuals and managing to shift into park while driving through town.

and on and on.......
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

davemustane1

1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

Frankenstein57

Gary is winning!  I had a longtime high school sweetheart, she said I should get rid of my racecar and we could get married! So I got rid of her, and built a new racecar! :003:

RICH MUISE

Well, I guess as long as I'm around this thread will be brought back up frequently... I CAN"T BELIEVE I JUST DID THIS ONE...and this is why I need to step back from the '57 projects for a little while. In my 4.6 install thread, I posted about modifying my new gas tank for the in tank fuel pump. Got it all welded in, and after a bit of reweld, got it to not having any leaks..everything just fine to that point. I thought as an insurance for leakage, I'd por-15 the inside around the weld. I did a test piece on the section I cutout and let it dry overnight. The next morning I went out and por-15'd the inside of the tank around the weld and left for 3 or 4 hours. Problem is I never looked at the test piece. Gasolene will not affect por-15 once it's cured, but the problem is por-15 will not stick to shiny surfaces, and my new tasnk is a nice new shiney surface. As I said I can't believe I did that. I can't get to the inside area well enough to wirebrush it off. I'm thinking I need to reorder the pan I welded in, cut the welded in one off carefully to maintain the hole size,then I can get to the inside to wirebrush, and weld in a replacement.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

That sucks Rich! That's a lot of work, that's the problem with building a nice car, everything has to look right.

57 Ford Kustom

Sorry to hear about all the extra work, but just think of all the problem you would have if you didn't realize this and ran the car with por15 flakes in the fuel delivery system!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Limey57

Rich, on my Ranchero tank I strapped it to a cement mixer (I welded four hooks to the outside of the mixer drum and held the tank on with ratchet straps), filled it with a load of 1/2" and 3/4" nuts, a bit of water and some strong detergent then sealed the tank outlet with a piece of inner tube and a worm-drive clip ("jubilee" clip) and started the mixer going.  It made plenty of noise but after an hour I took the tank off, drained & hosed it then repeated it with the tank mounted the other way round.  The muck and rust that came out was unreal.  If that POR is flaking it might work (assuming you'v got a mixer kicking around that is!)?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

The areas it's in are pretty tight. Thought about having it soda blasted, but it's almost imposible to see up there even with a mirror and flashlight. It's not flaking. The test piece I scrapped with a screwdriver to get it started, but once I did, it just pulled of in a sheet. I don't think those sheets of paint would get by the sock type filter that is over the fuel pump inlet, but it could clog that up. I'm better off just fixing it right and chaulking it up to senility setting in.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe