News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood Bond?

Started by BWhitmore, 2014-01-05 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

In looking at Service Bulletin 342 about radio interference it mentions inserting a "hood bond" between the bottom of the radio chassis and the top of the ashtray.  I have never heard the term "hood bond". Could this be the rubber strip on the cowl that seals the back of the hood?

Thanks

hiball3985

Bill,
The hood bond is a metal V shaped spring type clip the best I can describe it. Some cars had them mounted on the top of the cowl and it contact the hood when closed and help insure the hood was grounded. What the service bulletin is suggesting is using this same clip between the radio and the ash tray to insure the radio chassis is grounded.. Static in the radio is usually caused buy the generator but you have an alternator or buy something in the engine high side voltage ( plug wires  etc )
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Jim - thanks.  I think I may have just such a clip in my stash.  The problem with my radio I get no radio sound at all - just static even when the engine is not running.  When I test the radio off the car it works fine.  I have installed dedicated ground wires for the radio and the antenna and even installed a 12 volt powered antenna - still only static.  I have had this radio in and out of the car 5 times, and as you know I need to drop the under dash a/c unit (Mark IV) every time I work on the radio.  I am just glad I allowed for enough flexibility in my a/c hoses so I do not have to remove the a/c hoses from the back of the under dash unit.  Thanks.  Bill

LAUDY57

Have you applied an external 12v to the radio while it is in the car?
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hiball3985

Lorne has a good suggestion. If it plays on the bench ok and not in the car is could be the speaker, can you run the speaker wires to an external speaker. I'm thinking a short in the speaker could be grounding the output...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

I was thinking of an independent 12v source like a power supply or battery hooked directly to the radio wires, both 12v and ground, then individually to see if clean power and/or ground to the radio would make any difference.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

BWhitmore

Good suggestion.  I will hook up an independent 12v source to the radio and see if this makes a difference.  Thanks.  Bill

BWhitmore

Is there such a thing as "polarity" in the speaker wire hook up?  If the speaker wire is hooked up backwards to the speaker could this be the problem?  The speaker wire has the 3 prong hook up at the radio and two slide on terminals at the speaker.  When checking the radio on the bench I have used another speaker. The speaker in the car is new and I can clearly hear the static so I always assumed the speaker in the car is OK.

On a completely different topic:  if you are looking for a terrific movie go see Nebraska starring Bruce Dern.  Some car interest but really a great father and son story.

hiball3985

There is a polarity on a speaker but with the original radio that is mono it shouldn't make a difference as long as it's the correct two wires. I'm not  using my original radio and speaker so I'm not sure what the three wires on the radio side are? Where does the third wire go after coming from the radio if there are only two at the speaker?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

I think the third prong on the radio side of the speaker wire is a positioning prong only.

BWhitmore

Both a positioning prong and also a retention prong.  If I remember correctly the third prong has a "barb" on it for retention.

hiball3985

OK that makes sense. Sorry for all the questions, but have you taken it out and bench tested it since the first time you tried it? The reason I ask is it could have worked fine at the shop but these old radios can blow capacitors at any time, like the first time you turn it on and it gets 12V.
My other thought still goes back to the speaker, even being new it could be defective.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

A handy 12 v power source...even has a on/off switch, and a polarity switch
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Jim - I have actually bench tested the radio 3 times with the most recent test being 1 week ago.  I will borrow a speaker from my neighbor and give it a try (a speaker that I know is good).  Rich - good power source.  I have an extra 12v car battery and some long jumper leads so that I can sit the battery on the ground (with the battery grounded to the frame) next to the open door.  Thanks.

I will let you know the results.

hiball3985

Good luck Bill, I know how frustrating it can get with something as easy as hooking up a radio goes wrong, it always seems the little things get you   :005:

This is really taking a stab in the dark but is there anyway you could have mixed up the light and power wire? Maybe the radio will play if you turn the dash lights on bright. Just kidding  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang