News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood Bond?

Started by BWhitmore, 2014-01-05 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

LAUDY57

I would try grounding the battery to the radio first, just in case the body ground (or radio to body ground or radio ground wire )is not any good for whatever reason. Then you will have checked both the gound and the 12v supply to the radio, sometimes the conditions can change away from the bench. Does kinda sound like the speaker though.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

suede57ford

I had a bad distcap/rotor a few years ago and my xm-radio wouldn't pick up stations work when the engine was running, except with the hood open. 

I changed everything even the radio, and the MSD box/coil.   Ended up the carbon buttom in the center of the distributer cap had worn away and it was creating a field which interefered with the radio, especially with the hood closed.

Took forever to figure out.   I called the MSD tech guy and let him know when I finally figured it out.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

BWhitmore

I am still running the stock points and condenser.  The radio powers up, the light comes on whenever the radio is on but all I get is static when I tune through the stations.  I am going to try a different speaker and see what happens. 

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-01-05 18:26
Bill,
The hood bond is a metal V shaped spring type clip the best I can describe it. Some cars had them mounted on the top of the cowl and it contact the hood when closed and help insure the hood was grounded. What the service bulletin is suggesting is using this same clip between the radio and the ash tray to insure the radio chassis is grounded.. Static in the radio is usually caused buy the generator but you have an alternator or buy something in the engine high side voltage ( plug wires  etc )

Jim I had one of those V shaped things on one of my cars.  I took it off then threw it away because I couldn't figure out what it was for.   

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-01-06 10:10
    Jim I had one of those V shaped things on one of my cars.  I took it off then threw it away because I couldn't figure out what it was for.
I can't believe you of all people threw something away  :003: I know I've kicked myself more then a few times for throwing things away. I threw away 2 57 antenna's that hung in the garage for 30 years about a month before I bought my Ranchero and now I need one  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Have you tried replacing the condenser?
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

BWhitmore

The problem is I have no radio sound at all - just static.  Normally if you have interference from the ignition system you have radio sound also plus static.  I am going to try a new speaker in the next few days and see what happens.  Thanks.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-01-06 10:10

The "V" shaped thing....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BWhitmore

Bill - interesting.  Never seen before.  Probably most of them got tossed.  Thanks

LAUDY57

Thanks for the pic, geez I've got one somewhere as well- it looked like it broke off sometning and I could never figure where it was from!
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

I never would have guessed what that was for..now I'll have to search my bags of old rusty things.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2014-01-06 17:23
Bill - interesting.  Never seen before.  Probably most of them got tossed.  Thanks

They scratch the under side of the hood, which I would guess is why most are discarded.  Only one of the 57s that came here had a broken lower half remaining, Ranchero was missing altogether.  They are made of a brass alloy of some kind, the two tangs on the top contact the hood in an attempt to isolate static from the ignition system.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-01-06 17:11
The "V" shaped thing....
That's the one. Thanks for posting the picture
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-01-06 23:45
I never would have guessed what that was for..now I'll have to search my bags of old rusty things.

It looks like I'm going to have to search my rusty things  too.   It will make a nice conversation piece even though I don't have a radio.

Jeff Norwell

Interesting,I wonder why the Hood Hinges,Hood catch and release would not serve the same purpose of becoming a ground?
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com