News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ford radio

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2008-01-09 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

started up the car today and after awhile smoke started comning out from under the dash,   turns out its the radio, took it apart found the area that was smoking,  have the part  # and maker,  wheres a good spot to get parts?,   instead of calling lots of places maybe someone has already done some radio work and know of a good place,  good thing i had a spare,   thanks for any info,     jerrym

texasmark1

I'm looking for someone to do resto work on my radio as well... posted an inquiry under the "technical" section of this forum but so far, no responses to it.

I know a bit about tube radios from working on my collection of home units... if you remove the top cover on your unit, you will probably be able to see the burned area(s)... would guess you had a capacitor go south on you. They can explode sometimes, especially if they have been leaking for some time.  Or you may have had a resistor burn up on you, causing the smoke.  the good thing about old tube radios is that most problems stem from a small number of parts that just fail over time.  Good luck finding help.  Would appreciate a referral if you find someone.

Mark
God Bless Texas!

Ford Blue blood

You know those things are not electronic, they are powered by smoke because when you let the smoke out of the wires they stop working! :002:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Fairlane500Ron

World Hi-Fi  can get radios repaired .
The cost of mine for a 94 Cutlass would be $120.00
including shipping.
They can give you a quote.
If they're located near you
Other audio places too maybe.
Ron

geraldchainsaw

alittle update,    its hard to find anyone to work on the radio unless u want to pay a arm and leg,  have one group looking for parts called (semiconductor500.com),  but its slow, took the radio apart and found the spot thats giving me trouble,  a wire holder over one of the transformers holding 3 or 4 wires, 1 wire all that was left was the wire, insulator was gone, melted into the other wires,  the transformer was smoking, but don't know if its because of the wire insulator burning or what, which brings up somelthing else,  all these wires to diff areas, are they special i  mean like do the resist heat or what and putting the wires back together can i use reg wire or something special?,  i'm tempted to try putting it back together watching where the wires go so their not laying on each other and c what hapapens,

dmraymond

I have a stock a. m. radio that I am not using works good, welcome to it 20.00 plus shipping.