News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Date Codes

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-03-30 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

I have found out over the years of seeing these posts that if Lou says something, you can take it to the bank. lol
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Lou

djfordmanjack, your Del Rio was built at Dearborn, most likely in the early moring of Aug 22, 1957 as i have data plate info on 3 other cars built that day and they are  361504, 361960, 363535. To find production number subtack 100,000 from the unit number.

Lou

Thanks...Jim for the vote of convience.

djfordmanjack

thx Lou, that really sounds like proficient knowledge. I'd still be interested what the data sheet means with 'second year of production'
what would be a Y data code then , would it be buildt in 1958 ?
So starting from your expertise, I reckon a 1956 buildt 57 model should have a 6 VIN code with second year of production month code to make it a 57 built in 56, I confess that I am still a bit puzzled :005:

djfordmanjack

what would an ashtray like this look like ?
my mirror stem screws in with a jam nut.

Quote from: JimNolan on 2014-03-31 05:09
If the ash tray lid slides down and inside the dash instead of out, if the rear view mirror stem screws into it's base and locked in place by a jam nut like a t-bird, if the power steering cylinder is from a 1956 Ford, if it's got a D in it's vin number and you have a Special emblem on your glove box or if it still retains oval tri-bar yankee outside mirrors on the fenders, you probably have one built in 1956. Besides, I don't think they built any customs or fairlanes that far into 1957.

djfordmanjack

now I got it I think ! the first production year letters are not calendar year but production year months. since there were no official August 56 cars, they started with the J for September, went to M for Dec 56 and because A to H had not been used for the PRODUCTION year, the went ahead with those, making an H an August 57 and they had to use the W for Sept.57, because it was the next year of PRODUCTION. holy ****, and I am always arguing with the Chevy guys that the #1 cyl in front right is logical, now that is something different  :003:

JimNolan

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-04-12 16:30
what would an ashtray like this look like ?
my mirror stem screws in with a jam nut.

Like a 1956 ashtray. Really awkward. Instead of dropping the ashes into a container that flipped out from the dash you stuck the cigarette into the dash ashtray receptacle. I used a 1957 on my car because the original one is not usable without missing it and sticking your cigarette into the dash. Ruins paint.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Well, I apparently gave a wrong guess with production staring in August..found this letter posted on the 1957ford.com website. Production didn't start until September 12..so no August production, so also "H" would have to be 1957 as Lou stated. So, my guess on how the "first year and second year" was determined was also wrong...it can't be a calender year thing. I stand corrected...and still confused. I guess my memory was off also on when Detroit traditionally debued their new lines.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe