News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Date Codes

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-03-30 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Thanks....I'll scan and post them when I get them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Jim:

I researched the date code on my 57 and found it was made on September 27, 1957 and was number 247 from the actual end of the production run of 57's at the Terminal Island plant in San Pedro/Long Beach.  No wonder all my major structural welds were blow throughs on the motor mounts, transmission mounts and upper rear shock mounts.  Must have been lots of celebrating going on.  Every one of my welds on those pieces was bad and I've had all of them redone.

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2014-04-02 01:33
Jim:

I researched the date code on my 57 and found it was made on September 27, 1957 and was number 247 from the actual end of the production run of 57's at the Terminal Island plant in San Pedro/Long Beach.  No wonder all my major structural welds were blow throughs on the motor mounts, transmission mounts and upper rear shock mounts.  Must have been lots of celebrating going on.  Every one of my welds on those pieces was bad and I've had all of them redone.

Bob
57 AGIN
That's exactly a year from the day that mine was assembled. Sorry to hear someone hit your car. They probably didn't have insurance anyway.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

Welder trainees started on the frame line.

rmk57

Mine has the same poor welding, blown through and not welded in places, although mine was built on Feb 20th, in the San Jose plant, 862nd car scheduled to be built that day. Quality wasn't exactly job 1 back then was it.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

My Ranchero frame has nice welds. I wonder if the Ranchero/wagon frames were built on a different line. It just may have been a different shift or employee also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

My San Diago built early Ranchero has great welds as well....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Wow, that is fascinating about the different models having better welds.  Gasman, I have to believe you are correct about trainees doing the frame welding.  The welds were fine for the 6 cyl. my car was made with, but with close to 500 hp now I feel better having redone all of them.

Bob
57 AGIN

electricalan

Ya got me wondering so I went out and did an inspection of my Ranchero welds.They look real good.I never heard anything about bad factory welds on these cars before.
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

gasman826

That old stick welder you have in the back corner of the garage was new technology in '57.  Ford had just started welding frames.  Earlier frames were riveted.  I don't know if '57 was the first year but one of the early years for welded box frames.  Boxed frames are part of the overall design to get the '57 lower and better handling.  If you look closely at the box frame welds, the weld is not constant...it is skipped.  This allows the box frame to flex and twist for ride quality.  I locked my frame to a frame table, pulled it to spec and welded it end to end top and bottom.  I wonder it the Ranchero and wagon frames were considered heavy duty and therefore welded better and more complete for a stronger and stiffer frame.  Anyway, it needs to be considered with higher horse power applications.

Frankenstein57

The AO Smith plant in Milwaukee provided complete car frames to manufacturers for many years. Not sure which of the big three were built there, you always saw semi trailers with frames stacked high pulling out of town. The switch to unibody construction kind of spelled the end for those jobs. I once new a dirt tracker who acquired a brand new frame somehow for his 67 chevelle.

Ford Blue blood

My uncle Art Abraham worked for AO Smith after dropping out of school until his retirement in 76.  They made frames for everything that rolled during the 40s until when he retired.  When he retired they were doing pretty much heavy truck stuff and a few government jobs.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

well, with all this date code talk I had to check mine out last week. As it turns out, my 57' is 57 years old today! It was born on 5 April 1957!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-04-01 08:30
Thanks....I'll scan and post them when I get them.
Jay..got them in the mail today. I'll get them scanned and posted as soon as I have a chance. Thanks!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

OK Rich
    Thanks for letting me know that they arrived.
     I'm pretty sure that they are going to keep you busy for a while. 
Have Fun Jay