News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear brake drum question.

Started by hotroddonnie, 2014-04-08 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

You guys are tough!!!!!!!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

the backing plate bolts on the big bearing axle are 1/2 inch,the small bearing are 3/8.FYI

fordaholic

Donnie :  Check where you sent your email. I haven`t had an email come through from you yet. Look, I don`t want to cause a riff between you two guys. How be I let you have one each? Would that work? Ha Ha.   Cheers      Hey do think Jeff intercepted your email somehow??

hotroddonnie

Quote from: fordaholic on 2014-04-12 19:17
                 Donnie :  Check where you sent your email. I haven`t had an email come through from you yet. Look, I don`t want to cause a riff between you two guys. How be I let you have one each? Would that work? Ha Ha.   Cheers      Hey do think Jeff intercepted your email somehow??
Hey Gary I sent it to that email you gave me and double checked it, so plan B. Here's my email address. hotroddonnie@rocketmail.com. Just send your phone number and I will call or I can give you mine Donnie.

clusterbuster

That is a little tricky situation. When I replaced the rear shoes on my Custom, I never measured the lining width and just went to Auto Zone and picked up a new set of bonded lining. Brought them back home and installed them. Put the drums and wheels back on and tightened them up, and lo and behold the wheels wouldn't turn. Figured out that the lining was too wide, took them back, and they said the Custom 300 called for the 2 inch wide. Finally they found the 1 3/4 wide ones and that solved the problem. Guess their computers had the wrong info. If you don't look close there is only that 1/4 inch difference which makes a big difference. The 1 3/4 ones they sold me were the riveted type.

hotroddonnie

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2014-04-13 07:21
That is a little tricky situation. When I replaced the rear shoes on my Custom, I never measured the lining width and just went to Auto Zone and picked up a new set of bonded lining. Brought them back home and installed them. Put the drums and wheels back on and tightened them up, and lo and behold the wheels wouldn't turn. Figured out that the lining was too wide, took them back, and they said the Custom 300 called for the 2 inch wide. Finally they found the 1 3/4 wide ones and that solved the problem. Guess their computers had the wrong info. If you don't look close there is only that 1/4 inch difference which makes a big difference. The 1 3/4 ones they sold me were the riveted type.
Your right, I'm finding out with every thing I've done, a lot of parts don't work just because its the same year.It started with the frame, then the trunk lock, the trim packages, rear glass seal, brakes, and I'm sure there are lots more. HRD

hotroddonnie

Thank you guys for helping me with my brake drum problem. Fortunately Gary (fordaholic) was able to help me out, 45 minute drive, met a good guy, saw some cool cars, drums in hand, all good! Thanks Gary see you at a car show soon. HRD

Ecode70D

HRD
    I'm happy to hear that you got the right drums.
Jay

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-04-13 16:17
HRD
    I'm happy to hear that you got the right drums.
Jay
Thanks Jay.

fordaholic

Donnie;   Glad I could help. We had a good visit. You know that stuff is priceless. We have all been there Donnie. ( anyone who hasn`t, please speak up) .  Spring is here finally, and something goes sideways on our new build. One last glitch to deal  with. Sleepless nights. Can`t wait to get rockin and rollin with the new ride. Then finally it all comes together. Five years of dreaming; we`re there.  Am I right guys? As I see it Donnie is about to explode. It`s raining here cats and dogs  and he  still can`t get out and give the dream gasser a buzz.   Please shed a tear for Donnie

Jeff Norwell

DANG!!!!!!!!!
Donnie.Your Stealing from me!!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2014-04-13 18:04
DANG!!!!!!!!!
Donnie.Your Stealing from me!!!!!
Your back!!!!!

fordaholic

Hey  Jeff:  Had to help him out.  He was in tears.

Ecode70D

Quote from: fordaholic on 2014-04-13 19:40
                 Hey  Jeff:  Had to help him out.  He was in tears.

Fordaholic...WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!!  These are your words.

" I don`t want to cause a riff between you two guys. How be I let you have one each? Would that work?"   

Did you change your mind?

hotroddonnie

He sure did Jay, had them turned this morning, the garage told me they were good drums, just turned them to true them up and I slapped them on tonight after work, getting ready to install front seat belts next. I picked up 4 lap belts from the company I bought my headliner and carpet from. Looking forward to drilling holes in my new floors. HRD