News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Del Rio Rock'n'Roll Ranchwagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2014-04-09 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I second Rich's comments, except it would take me forever! Awesome concept BTW.
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

Wow,Your skills are outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Thanx alot, Jeff!
I finally managed to pull the body today. no big issue, just took my time and being careful not to ruin anything or hurt myself. can't await the day it'll be going back on  ;)

Ecode70D

Günter
   I like the way that you made use of those two long pieces of stock that you  placed on top of the four posts.  You must have a good feeling of accomplishment with the body off.  Now there's nothing in the way from getting that frame back to original specifications again.  Have you made your appointment at the frame shop yet?  Jay

djfordmanjack

Jay, that was the safest way to pull the chassis from underneath rather than lift the body. I had supported the body with 4 wooden beams and it didn't do any damage to the roof structure or floors. I left the doors in for better strength and alignment and all was well. now that the body is back on stands the doors open and close the same way as when the body was on the frame, so nothing has moved.
I am using those long rectangular steel tubings to build a subframe for the body, so I can roll it around and put it in my rotissery. all the rockers and front body mounts will come off and I have to do a lot of alignment work on the A and B pillar.

Limey57

I remember this point well, when I took the body off the Ranchero my first thought was where has all my free space gone?".  It's also the point where you realise there's no going back or half-measures, but you can't beat it for underside access and finishing everything "properly".  You seem to have plenty of room which helps and that 4 post lift is a lot safer than using axle stands, bricks and anything else to hand like I used!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-02-10 18:05
Clever design on the hinges along with your normal excellent workmanship. Your last few pics would be a few weeks work for me.
Can you please tell me what the Spring / Pivot Assembly is that you used.
Thanks
John

djfordmanjack

John I used an old cabinet hinge. you can see it in the first pic. probably any from a home improvement or hardware store will do, as long as you can make it fit. the little lift springs came from my friend. he builds those radio controlled 'crawler' scale car models. you will get those springs and shocks in many different sizes in the model hobby stores. you can even get shims to get the spring rate you need.
My setup is all homemade.
G.

KYBlueOval

Thanks for that information. I now know what to look for. I really like what you did.
John

djfordmanjack

Thought it's about time to update this one a little. My heart and soul is in that wagon, but it's still apart. I did a lot of refurbishing small parts and purchasing spare parts but still nowhere. It's somewhat sad to know that this will take another 5-10 years to complete. I have yet to start metal work on the body and realigning the twisted and bent frame.
here's a few things that I thoroughly cleaned, ground smooth, rounded the edges aso and had them powdercoated.

djfordmanjack

I think I went a little overboard with the Granada spindles.
and the chassis is tucked to the rear of the shed waiting for its turn.
Let's say something got inbetween. Something like 3 1934 Fords maybe... ::)

djfordmanjack

That's how the project is tucked in the corner of the shed for future action, I just don't have the time for it right now. Hopefully I will get it back out again in a year or two.
One of the main things distracting from the build is parked right behind it, my beloved 34 sdn.
The story with that car is so unbelievable that I think I have to tell it right now. I bought it in person from another very active person here on the forum. When I got on this forum here 2 years ago we found that we have lots in common with our 57 Fords interest and also family heritage, which lead to an email friendship which at some point turned out we both had an incredible affiliation with Model 40s (33/34) Fords and about 1-1/2 years later I was flying to beautiful Massachusetts, enjoying the time hanging out with good frineds, lots of vintage tin and returning home with that very special 1934 Ford sedan and a true friendship with one of the greatest car guys I ever met - Thank you so much Jay !
Coming to think that none of that would have ever happened without this forum, so many many thanx to James for keeping this going!
(BTW maybe you could move this topic to the project build chapter, James? )
Who's that sinister gang of hoodlums on vintage Route 58 anyways ?  :003:

djfordmanjack

since we were talking about daily driver and beater cars in Jeffs 300 thread I thought I post some pics of my last daily driver, a 62 Comet. I just loved that thing. looks clean in the pics but paint job was a mix of 30 year old paint and freshly sprayed-in-the-backyard truck white.... :003: including a little plastic and other cheap tricks like cut coils, reversed leave springs and stuff. Of course it got the 57 treatment in the rear. It's incredible how much fun a cheap but reliable old daily driver quality car is. I sold it when I thought I would make the 57 Del Rio my daily driver, and things got overboard somewhere and I started tearing into the wagon instead of just fixing it. Didn't listen to the many people here who said I shouldn't do it. So now I am not driving the 57...which I regret much. let's see what the near future might bring. In the meantime I love to remember that little Merc.

RICH MUISE

DJ...had no idea you bought(one of) Jay's '34's. cool.
In the pic, your on the right, Jay's in the middle..who's on the Left?
Your comet...I think that's the first time I've seen '57 Tailights on something else.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe