News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Charging system

Started by clusterbuster, 2014-05-14 21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Today I changed the charging system over from the generator to a 100 amp alternator. Bought the conversion on Ebay and it really was a breeze to wire up and install. It maintains the function of the dash idiot light, and I like that. It bolts easily to the original brackets with a supplied bracket and bolt. Checked the out put and she's charging like a dandy.

geraldchainsaw

by any chance do u remember the name that u got it from,  thanks   jerry

clusterbuster

Yes Jerry. I got it from Becker Antique Auto Electric Norwalk,Ohio.(phone-419-668-5986) It cost $140.00 plus $15.00 shipping. Basically when you do the wiring, your original voltage regulator just acts as a junction box for the wiring. The instructions are very detailed and good pictures with them. It takes a bit to figure it out though. If you get one and need any help or advice, you can contact me via email, or on this site.  Thanks  Don

hiball3985

I added the Becker one to mine about a year ago and it works great. It previously had one of the crappy one wire GM one it and they had removed the voltage regulator. I just ran a new wire from were the idiot light was connected to the regulator over to the alternator and one short heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the positive side of the solenoid, very simple and being able to use the original generator brackets make it nice.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

thjis becker antique electric must be out of business, even emailing the sons business down in SC,  they don't answer emails

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

You have to bid on the alternator on Ebay, so I waited till the last couple of minutes before it ended to bid. No one bid against me and I got it for $140.00. I see someone is bidding on it now. There is another company that is selling them on Ebay as well, but the alternator only puts out sixty some amps. They charge around $35.00 more, I believe, for the high output. Becker is the best value if you get it for $140-$150. Their wiring hookup is slick.

Jeff Norwell

That is a very neat deal Clusterbuster.
I use a PowerGen on all my cars,a bit more spendy,I still like the look of a generator case with Alt. guts.Been using them in all my cars and will use one in the 57.
Never had any problems with them.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

I got mine on Ebay, they use to list them frequently and I would bid $140 and a few times get outbid, finally I got one when nobody else bid on it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

will someone tell me what the advantage is to changing the electrical system from a gen to a altenator?,  thanks    jerry

Lou

Unless you have a great big sound system, not much of an advantage if any. I've never had a problem with the generator on any of my cars that a $10.00 set of new brushes didn't cure.

clusterbuster

Alternator puts out a much better amperage to the battery, eliminates the need for an external voltage regulator, as the alternator has a built in regulator.  It eliminates headlight dim and flare up at idle to rev up, allows you to add on halogen headlights which take more out of the battery, and is charging just as much at idle as it is when spinning a high rev. Suppose there a a few more things that I have forgotten.

4thgen57

Want to add electric wipers and stereo to my car, Not a big sound system just something hidden, Was concerned the Gen wouldn't run everything????

Lou

I've run 150 miles in the rain with the lights on, the heater blower on, electric wipers, and the radio on, all this with the original Ford 30 AMP gen.

clusterbuster

I had enough generators and voltage regulators go bad back when running the 50"s cars. I'll take an alternator any day !