News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge Works---woo-hooo! NOT NOW--crap.

Started by robhaerr, 2014-07-21 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Rob,
Thanks, a rubber band is a better description. Thats what I have on mine but I haven't had any leak issue and I've reused it on three senders. I did have to replace the O ring on the filler neck, that was leaking a little on a fill up. After trying two cheap repops that didn't work correctly I finally found an OEM. The twist on retaining ring should be tight enough to provide a ground between the sender and tank if the surfaces are clean..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Partsman

Dennis Carpenter has correct sending unit to tank gasket part # B9AF 9276 A.  It has a square cross section that fits in the groove in the tank.  It fits 57/ 59 only.  Sold quite a few when I was still a Ford dealership parts person.
Hope this helps.
Bill

robhaerr

Bill...

That's the same "rubber band"-type sending unit gasket that I ordered. I am still getting leakage thru the sending unit opening.
http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tank-sending-unit-gasket/p/B9AF-9276-A/

What do you guys think about running a bead of gasket sealant resistant to gasoline like this...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PERI/29132/N2362.oap?ck=Search_N2362_-1_-1&pt=N2362&ppt=C1984

Please advise...mucho thanks!
Rob

hiball3985

I guess I've been lucky, after three sending unit changes with the same rubber band I have no leaks. I don't see any problem with using silicone if all else has failed.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

Their fuel gauge is pretty cheap at $35, anyone try one?

robhaerr

Jim...

Do you lay the "rubberband" on it's side like it's pictured in the link below or get it to lay on the larger flat side?
http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tank-sending-unit-gasket/p/B9AF-9276-A/

Having the gas leak out at the station is not a good thing!

Thanks...
Rob

hiball3985

Rob, I lay it on it's narrow edge just like in the picture, and still don't understand how it works.
Are you sure it's leaking from the sender and not the filler pipe? I had to replace the O ring on the pipe also.

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

When I fill up, there is gas around the sending unit area and drips to the ground, so I am assuming it is leaking from there.

hiball3985

More then likely that is where it is coming from. My other thought was if mine had leaked or leaks in the future I'm going to try using an Oring.....

Edit: How hard is it to access the sending unit on the wagons, I need to help a friend with one in the near future. On my Ranchero I have to remove 25 bed bolts first  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-10-28 10:16
Edit: How hard is it to access the sending unit on the wagons, I need to help a friend with one in the near future. On my Ranchero I have to remove 25 bed bolts first  :005:

Accessing the sending unit on wagons is easy. There is an access port next to the spare tire well, see photos.

Is there a part number for the O-ring that goes on the filler tube. Mine is a bit worn and I recall a leak there at one time.

Thanks!
Rob

hiball3985

Thanks Rob, that will be a piece of cake to do. I got my O ring at the local hardware store.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Thanks Jim...

I found an o-ring at O'Reilly Auto Parts that seems to fit nicely on the filler neck and snug when inserted to the tank.

Next fill-up should tell if all is sealed.

Rob

robhaerr

Filled up...no run runs, no drips, no errors...all sealed.

Feeling good about getting gas again...and I know when I need it!

Rob

hiball3985

That's good news and a perfect time to fill up while the prices are down..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang