News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

horn wiring

Started by fordrunner390, 2014-07-23 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

fordrunner390

hi-fred here-i have a 57 fairlane 63a and i installed a 58 steering box which greatly improved the steering but i need the wiring to connect the horn so it will work with the horn ring-any parts,advise or help will be greatly appreciated---fred

RICH MUISE

You won't find any pre-made parts/wiring for it, but from what I understand, not too much of a problem. Go back to the home page and type in a search for "58 horn wiring". It will bring up lots of old threads with how-to's on the subject.
Geez I hate to tell people to use the search...but in this case it's the best way I think.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Hey Fred,
I just went through the same scenario and it turned out to be more complicated than I thought. You need a horn contact plate. I first found an old Edsel column [for free] and the turn signal/horn plate would have worked in my car but one of the nylon cancel arms on the turn signal was broken off... old plastic... and the horn plate would not work with the 57 turn signal mechanism. I managed to salvage the contact spring loaded horn button that passes through a hole in the steering wheel. I also noticed that the turn signal cancelling part on the back of the steering wheel was different for the newer style turn signal/horn contact plate.  I wound up buying a NOS turn signal switch for a 59,60,61 Ford car [a newer design than the Edsel], a 59 steering wheel, and using the old Edsel horn contact. The new turn signal is a vast improvement over the old, much tighter and it uses the same lever. I did have to drill one new hole in the column to fit the new stuff though. One would never notice except for the vastly improved function.
Lynn
Lynn