News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero pick up bed rails?

Started by Limey57, 2014-09-20 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I've seen a few Rancheros with rails on the top of the pick up bed sides, like the ones in the photo below:

The stainless trim on my Ranchero has holes that indicate it was also once fitted with these rails, were they a factory option or aftermarket?  What is the real name for them and do they ever come up for sale?  I want to fit a set or I'll be left with unused holes in the trim, I could fit screws into them to cover them but I'd prefer to fit some rails if I can get hold of some.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Maybe a Canadian option? Meteor?

hiball3985

Bed rail where an option $38. Don't know if they came from the factory or were dealer installed.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes on EBay but I won't hold my breath.  If I can't get hold of any I'll have some made in stainless.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

As an after thought I think there was after market ones made at one time and I've seen people use ones off of El Caminos, so your screw holes locations may not be for the factory ones.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

VwDrvFnd

The thing I want to find is the bars/tubes that go across the back window to protect it from getting smashed by loose cargo. There was a Craigslist ad posted on here a while back of a Ranchero in Spokane WA. that had them in place. Called the guy but he was unwilling to sell them separately.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-09-21 08:02
As an after thought I think there was after market ones made at one time and I've seen people use ones off of El Caminos, so your screw holes locations may not be for the factory ones.

That's a good point, I've been looking at various photographs online and there does seem to be some differences.  Considering shipping costs on top of purchase prices and the chance of buying ones that don't line up with my existing holes, I've decided to get some brackets custom made and use stock stainless tube, that way I'll be able to get some made that exactly match the holes that are already there.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

John Palmer

I'd check at some of the boat parts suppliers.  They would have the uprights and tubing for grab rails, and they would also be in stainless.

I worked at a Ford Dealership during the 1960's, and installing mirrors, antennas, and various factory accessories, was a daily job for the service department.  Also, based on the guys that I worked with, "CLOSE.....was always good enough" for alignment.

Limey57

Quote from: John Palmer on 2014-09-21 14:10
I'd check at some of the boat parts suppliers.  They would have the uprights and tubing for grab rails, and they would also be in stainless.

Now that is a GOOD idea!  Thanks.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

rmk57

They look look like the same manufacturer that made the roof racks. Which would make them fairly rare and pricey.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Limey57

I found some on EBay yesterday listed for 59-60 Rancheros and El-Caminos and they are nearly $400 with faults: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-Chevrolet-El-Camino-Ford-Ranchero-Accessory-Bed-Rails-Bedrails-Guards-/291241258517?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cf54ee15&vxp=mtr#ht_225wt_1366

They look like the ones in the first picture above which appear to be a "one size fits all" aftermarket type, some of the ones fitted to 57 Rancheros fit to the horizontal part of the bed rail and then attach to the angled part of the rear pillar making me think these were 57-specific.  I've found some Marine fittings that will do the job, you order the stainless tube then "mix & match" brackets and fittings from a boat supplier as suggested above and it looks like I'll end up with brand new rails for under $150!  I'll post some pictures when I get round to fitting them.  At the minute I'm trying to get all the painting finished before the temperature drops too much.
Gary

1957 Ranchero