News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T-Bird brakes?

Started by MeanGene, 2014-09-11 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanGene

So I have the nice 57 Sedan Delivery, and a 95 Bird commuter/bomber that is due to be parted (4.6/auto etc.) Any chance the Bird brakes could be adapted onto the 57?

CableguyJJS3

T-Bird brakes are similar to Mustangs, so the Mustang Steve adapter brackets could be used. But the T-bird bolt pattern is 5x4 1/4 as opposed to the Mustang and the 57's 5x4 1/2. While it could be done, you'd be looking at re-drilling your rotors for the new bolt pattern or new wheels with the T-bird pattern. Your best bet would be the Mustang Steve brackets on the original spindles and eBay for a set of Mustang brakes. You can keep the 15"ish size wheels with the smaller V6 Mustang brakes or step into the 16" and 17" wheels if you opt to run Cobra or late GT brakes.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

MeanGene

So the '95 Bird rotors will fit the spindles, and the calipers will fit with Mustang Steve brackets? Drilling rotors is OK, have large and small lathes and a Bridgeport. Is there a link for Mustang Steve? Trying to use parts on hand that might go to scrap

62galxe

MeanGene

Thanks for the link- still wondering if the '95 Bird hubs/rotors will fit on the '57 drum spindles? Bearing sizes, etc.?

CableguyJJS3

You would need a set of 5 lug mustang drum brake hubs and the associated wheel bearings and seals and such. The caliper brackets bolt to the spindle so some provisions may need to be made there not sure. According to the rockauto catalog the mustang drum brake hubs use the same wheel bearings as the 57's so in theory the hubs and bearings should go on to the spindles. But that is just a theory I was confused in my response earlier, sorry for that. I was thinking the kit used the late unit bearing hubs, and I know they are interchangeable from mustang to tbird. I think with some work and creative thinking it could be made to work, but not sure it would be worth it in the end. I guess it would have to be ultimately decided what kind of brake package you were trying to have when it's all said and done. I think if you had access to all the parts for mock up and testing something could be figured out, but I think a spindle swap is going to be needed. After that the possibilities are endless. Again sorry for the confusions, that's what I get for speaking before thinking.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

MeanGene

Got a couple other possibilities- just saw a post in a search where a guy used Mustang front spindles/ brakes- didn't say what year. I happen to have a complete assembly out of a 70 Mustang that I parted out, spindles, brakes, power steering, master with booster, even the a-arms still attached. Wonder if it would (minus the a-arms of course) all fit to the 57 suspension? Pretty sure it even has the PS pump still attached.
I also still have my complete 88 Lincoln MkVII LSC that that the ex-gf pulled out in front of a minvan- still drives, but enough damage that it was totaled, and I bought it back. Car had awesome brakes, and the LSC also had lower gears in the disc- brake rearend, seems like it's limited slip too. Width should be close? Of course, if I had any brains, I would put the whole driveline in the fiddyseven, it has the 5.0 HO with stainless headers, AOD trans etc.- but then again, I have all those 427's, already have FPA FE headers, three-dueces, CalCustom covers, and a 3+1 OD toploader... And of course the Lincoln has a power rack & pinon setup...