News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Radiator

Started by outcruisen, 2014-10-19 04:55

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi all.. I have a 1957 Fairlane running a 312 Y Block and I am sick and tired of repairing the old copper radiator in the car.. I am looking for a replacement that will cool the thing properly (+.060 bores so gets a little warm in warmer weather), and was hoping to fit a fan shroud as well this time too. Didn't want to have to cut and drill in the engine compartment so was hoping someone might know of a good manufacturer that builds a quality item (Thinking aluminium) off the shelf that would fit straight in. If they would ship to Australia too that would be a bonus..

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

JimNolan

The 390 in my 57 gave me the same problems. I even bought a KoolKraft Omniflow copper radiator out of California to help solve the heating problems, I ended up putting fans on it along with a radiator shroud. I kept overheating if I sat very long and the top of the radiator tank kept coming apart. After spending $650 for a KoolKraft radiator (made to look like the original), $150 for a ABS 57 T-bird shroud, $150 for a super nice electric fan, and probably $200 dollars in radiator repair, I broke down and bought a Griffin Aluminum Radiator that was made for my 57 Fairlane. Just a two row ordinary aluminum radiator. I can set my car out in 100 degree weather and let it idle until the gas runs out and it won't overheat. I run a 7 blade AC fan 1/2" from the radiator, that's all. One year at the 57 Ford Shootout in Columbus I ran two classes and stayed in the staging lanes or on the track for a couple hours in 105 degree heat without lifting the hood or seeing the water temp go over 190 degrees. I kept the engine running through three class races and two 57 Ford races. With a 57 Fairlane and a FE engine you don't have room between the fan and the radiator to throw in 4 core radiators without hacking up your core support, the Griffin radiator cured all my problems and the first thing I did when I restored my 63 406 was buy a Griffin Radiator. You're 312 punched out till the cylinder walls are paper thin may not ever be able to be cooled but an Aluminum Radiator but it cured my problems. I like a Y-block engine to look at in the 57 Fairlane, but I don't intend to rely on one.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57AGIN

outcruisen: 

A number of us Southern California types run the Matson Radiator (also known as "The Fan Man") for solving our cooling problems. My 351 W with a Paxton-Novi Supercharger generates plenty of heat, but my radiator with its electric fans keeps the car running cool and without worries.  Cost was about $550 with the electric fans and fan shroud all polished aluminum.

Bob
57 AGIN

LAUDY57

Is that rad the same size (copy of a 57) and mounts the same way? Same thickness (2 or 3 core?). I'm wanting one but my mounts are different from stock so I have to do some serious measuring.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

57AGIN

Laudy:

I'm not sure.  My 57 was originally a 6 cyl. so it has a slightly different core support arrangement.  I can take a quick drive over to Mattson's to find out specifically what mine is.  I'll try to do that tomorrow, Halloween permitting.

Bob
57 AGIN

LAUDY57

Thanks, I sent the Fan Man an email for dimensions then I found the FAQ section on their site so it looks like I need to send them the dimensions I have. My space is tight, and I don't know what rad I have, so I am curious how much room I need for a stock size rad as opposed to ordering a custom size. I like the appearance of yours (and the Halloween decorations!!).

57AGIN

LAUDY57:

I went by Mattson's yesterday and found out the following on my radiator:  It is a double pass aluminum cross flow, with two rows of one inch tubes on the inside.  The two electric fans are mounted on the polished aluminum fan shroud.  My setup cycles between about 165 and 210 degrees on my gauges.

Bob
57 AGIN

LAUDY57