News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Removal of instrument cluster

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-11-24 09:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I thought the removal of instrument cluster was going to be a piece of cake.  Well I'm no little guy and I do not see an easy way to remove this thing.  I almost got stuck under the dash.  I had my right hand in a place that I couldn't get it out and not to mention my big ass was wedged in a unnatural position.  No one around to pull me out so I jest acted like a snake and INCHED my way out.  So the question is there a trick or should I get a much smaller person like my 1 1/2 year old grandson to do it? :001:

RICH MUISE

Jerry...I honestly don't remember what's holding it in from the back, if anything....but I do feel your pain. You know from our meet in Phoenix, I'm about 1/2 your size, and I was having a hell of a time trying to get my hands under the dash where I needed them for the A/C install. I do have that big console in the way though, that most guys aren't going to have to contend with.
You do know there are screws in the front of the gage panel around the eyebrow, and I think behind the little cover plate that straddled the steering column.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

There are 2 screws in the top from the face of it, and then there are 4 nuts to take off on the bottom side in the back (under the dash).

Kevin

65kcode

Here is a picture of the stud locations on the back, where my fingers are pointing. Hopefully this helps out.

Kevin

lalessi1

Here is a shot of the back of the instrument cluster for reference. Under the dash is a pain to deal with- you need tiny little hands and tiny little tools. Mmm.... never thought of child labor!
Lynn

Raven Rider

Thanks for the replies but I have 2 extra instrument clusters so I know about the 2 screws and the 4 nuts but I'm just having problems getting to the nuts, it isn't anything anyone can help me with this I just wanted to rant a little on how tight it is to get to the 4 nuts btw do you know the size of those little nuts.  I want to replace the voltage thingy to see if my fuel and temp gauges work better since I have 2 extra.  I'm going to installed the Dakota Digital Cluster as soon as money falls from the sky.  I think I will remove the steering wheel so I don't get stuck again! :102:

gasman826

If it wasn't for child labor, kids would never learn a thing.  Why do you think your grandpa took you to the garage.  To show you something or to help him with something????

Raven Rider

Very wise there Gassman826.

lalessi1

All this time I thought my grandpa was showing me something...... I think the nuts are 3/8", a deep socket and a flex extension helps a lot.
Lynn

Raven Rider

Thank Lalessi1 that is just what I thought the nuts were but I did not want to have to go to the tool box after squeezing back under the dash.  I didn't think about a flexible extension that just might be the ticket.

gasman826

I think it is easier to remove the whole dash...especially when you're in the grandpa category.

petew

Remove the front seat or at least unbolt it and move it away from the dash otherwise you will never have enough room to work under there.

hiball3985

Removing the left air vent helps get the hands up there easier. When I replaced mine I only put the two outer nuts on for easier removal in the future if the need arises..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

The seat and air vent are the key to happy under dash work!  I don't even try without those two things first.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Raven Rider

I looked at it last night and the seat and steering wheel are coming off.  Not sure how to remove the complete dash if someone can give me a run down on how to do it.  I have no left vent under my dash I wish I did. Does anyone have extra vent items not being used?  I will post this under the Wanted Tab.