News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

here are some progress pictures.alot of this stuff still needs to come off for clean/paint.picture #1 almost done test fitting most parts.#2 left side after my redo to fit the cruse servo.#3 this is the spot i found for the cruse servo.#4 checking battery fit[not correct mustang battery,but will work for test],fitting air cleaner ducting,rad overflow and a/c parts.#5 shows where i put the air filter and that i had to put in a shorter fan motor to get things to fit.also my mass air should clear the hood[will know when i put the hood on]

canadian_ranchero

here is picture #5

RICH MUISE

Kinda like eating an elephant, isn't it? You're gonna like it when it's done, trust me. Got on mine hard today for just a short burst...turned on a highway, and nailed it at about 40 going uphill, but not full on throttle...got to 80 in no time and it was pretty obvious I didn't have an air intake problem I thought maybe I had. That is with the car still in back up mode. Thanks for the updates, Gary. I'm enjoying watching this come together.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

busy trying to stuff 12 inches of parts into a 10 inch hole

canadian_ranchero

update;under hood wiring is 90% done,p/s plumbing is done,found that i could not buy a 24f group battery [could order one from a mustang shop,but was pricey]with the side ears for mounting to the 65 mustang battery box.so i modifyed the box to fit a readily available battery with the side mounts[fits late model gm trucks]790 cca,waiting for a/c fitting that will run under the battery box so can not install battery box yet.oil cooler plumbing about 1/2 done.air filter and piping installed.if i was retired like some of you guys i would have a lot more time to work on this.working and raising grand kids eats up a lot of my time   

RICH MUISE

It's a trade-off, lol. By the time you get to retire, you probably have slowed waaaay down, so you don't get any more done than when you were younger and still working.
Sounds like progress though.

canadian_ranchero

update;both oil coolers hooked up,some more under hood wiring done.a/c fittings should be here friday

RICH MUISE

Were you able to locate some fittings north side of the border as you were hoping?

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-04-20 18:26
Were you able to locate some fittings north side of the border as you were hoping?
one of the hydraulic hose shops in town does a/c hoses.i needed some less common hose fittings so they needed to order them

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-04-17 09:37
if i was retired like some of you guys i would have a lot more time to work on this.

Had to smile a little....having been where you are now and now being retired and free of time eaters I found there is a new gremlin to get in the way of projects.......it is the feared and loathed "ROUND TUIT".  As you come to realise there is no need to hurry because of work or ball games the ol I'll get around to it tomoorow slowly creeps in and pretty soon the pile of "ROUND TUITS" is a mountian!

Now having said that, the joy of only having one obligation every morning (getting up and making the coffee) is pretty nice.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

my a/c fittings came in today.two were wrong. :005:it seems like the gods do not want me to finish this project

RICH MUISE

If those are the springlock fittings for the compressor, I not only ordered the wrong size on one of the lines, but when I reordered, I ordered the same wrong size again!!

canadian_ranchero

to get the a/c service ports into a spot where you can access to them under the battery box,i will need to custom make the fittings with the service ports.under hood wiring about 98% done.installed a wiper switch with the washer switch built in,needed to modify the dash backing plate the knob and the switch mounting bezel[took about 3 hours ] off to the parts places on monday to see what i can find for a/c stuff

RICH MUISE

If you have a log time established A/C shop nearby, they usually have a pretty good supply of fittings.

canadian_ranchero

checked 3 different a/c fitting supplyers,looked in there catalogs.no one makes the fittings i need.what i will do is cut apart 3 fittings put them together then have the a/c shop silver solder them together.