News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

canadian_ranchero:

Looks like very nice work and good thinking about avoiding heat on the fuel system.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

I often wondered why they ran the lines on the outside of the frame rail, could heat be the reason?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-08-31 08:34
I often wondered why they ran the lines on the outside of the frame rail, could heat be the reason?
Good question. Maybe it would have been to hard to get around the trans cross member?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Some of the old sanctioned tech inspections didn't like fuel and brake lines on the inside of the frame in case of catastrophic part failure...driveshaft or transmission parts could cut the lines.  I think the lines on the outside of the frame are vulnerable to collision damage.

Ford Blue blood

I did muse over running the lines inside or outside the rails (both gas and brake needed replacement) and decided to go with the outside as they did from the factory.  It was a real PITA with the body on but did get them in and tied down with the stock fasteners.

Not too worried about collision damage.  If it is hit hard enough to get to them it would most likely hurt me pretty badly and brake line damage would be the least of my worries!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-09-01 07:56
I did muse over running the lines inside or outside the rails (both gas and brake needed replacement) and decided to go with the outside as they did from the factory.  It was a real PITA with the body on but did get them in and tied down with the stock fasteners.

Not too worried about collision damage.  If it is hit hard enough to get to them it would most likely hurt me pretty badly and brake line damage would be the least of my worries!
i ran the new fuel line[high presser feed]on the inside of the right hand frame rail and used the original 6 cyl outside the frame rail one for the return line[also on the right side]

canadian_ranchero

update;hood on,interior together,needed to swap all the guts from a 59 horn ring on to the 57 to get the horn to work properly.still need to set the alignment.then the test drive. :003:  the first picture is of the clearance test for hood to mass air sensor,i have about 3/8 of a inch.the other is of the inside

canadian_ranchero

update;you think you have all the leaks fixed,found a power steering leak and a brake line leak.i think i have them fixed.my front spring spacer bushings must have taken set.my center of hub to fender lip is now about 12 1/4-1/2 inch.i got the alignment set close enough to work.so if i do not run into any more problems i will be test driving tomorrow[if it does not rain]

RICH MUISE

Yahoo!...anxiously awaiting the first drive results. Interior is looking great. I don't remember you talking upholstery.....was it already done when you got the car?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-06 09:10
Yahoo!...anxiously awaiting the first drive results. Interior is looking great. I don't remember you talking upholstery.....was it already done when you got the car?
i put in a new front rubber floor matt.the front seat and carpet was redone before i got the car,the rest of the interior is original

canadian_ranchero

now the big news;i took about 6 test drives last night.i still have a small power steering leak and my posi diff is a little noisy.it sure is easy to go 80 mph.no shakes or vibrations at that speed.even the cruse control works.there are still a small list of little things to finish.here are some pictures of the wagon in the sun[been about 2 years] i put the hub caps on and cleaned the white walls after these were taken.i will need to repair the back springs,the left side is about 1 inch lower than the right

RICH MUISE

Congrats!!!! That is a good looking wagon...love the travel decals in the back. Nowadays all you can find are the vinyl stickers.
Your noisy posi, is it aftermarket? When I first had mine done, it was noisy, then I drained the synthetic oil out and put in the correct conventional oil with an addative...noise disappeared immediatly. Mine is a Yukon trac-loc.
Is your car throwing any codes? It sounds like your happy with the performance.?.!?

canadian_ranchero

went to a car meet tonight in stony plain.longest trip so far.got me back home,that is a good thing.some people knew what engine it is, most did not.rich i put the additive in the posi[factory ford posi]90% of the noise is gone.so far the only code i am getting is a egr code,not surprised as i had deleted the egr.filled up the fuel tank today right to the top and the filler neck o-ring did not leak  :003::003:the engine seems to be running better all the time[computer learning thing].the waterless coolant seems to work o/k,temp gauge runs at almost the top end of normal,does not get higher even in slow moving traffic

RICH MUISE

Are you still happy with the Flowmasters? For some reason, driving mine this week a few times after sitting for 2 months, the dronning sounds louder and at all speeds up to highway speed cruising where it finally quiets down. It doesn't seem to be just at higher load or too high of a gear anymore. LOL...maybe it's just that I've been driving it with no side glass. I don't mind a little loudness, just the real deep drone has gotta go...wish I was closer to you so we compare sound!

57AGIN

Rich & canadian_ranchero:

I'm thinking about possibly going to change from the Flowmasters to the Borla Mufflers.  Borla's were installed on My Shelby GT by Shelby and I've always liked the way they sound on my 4.6 mod motor.  But, I'm not sure how they would sound on my 57's 351W.  You two might want to give them a thought for your 4.6's.

Bob
57 AGIN