News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heavy Duty transmission shift levers

Started by Randyh, 2014-12-03 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I wrecked (13) 57 Ford  manual 3 speed transmissions as a teenager. I finally found a T-10 in 1966. 428...no problems. I think Ford knew about the 3 spd problem so they they designed their own transmissions. My understanding is that the Ford toploaders (3 or 4) are stronger than the Borg Warner designs across the board. Not trying to sell anything here but I bought the 3 spd I have because I felt it was an improvement over the BW-T85 design plus 1st gear is syncronized. I wouldn't replace any toploader with a BW trans.

Disclaimer: The previous statement is based on hear say, foggy memory, and factory engineering bias. (In 1966 I could buy a 3 spd transmission for $35).
Lynn

hiball3985

Jeff: I think many of the early 55-57 TBirds had T85's. I'll bet that was the trans they ran in 57 Ford Nascars..

Lynn: The early Ford three speeds were BW designed but built by Ford. The Ford top loaders are by best the best trans over any BW. I went with the T85 because I wanted the overdrive, I like running the lower gears for the mountainous area I live in and then need the OD when I hit the freeways. Back when I was blowing the Ford three speeds up in the 60's they were $25 at my favorite junk yard. Now we are dating ourselves  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-12-09 19:21
Jeff: I think many of the early 55-57 TBirds had T85's. I'll bet that was the trans they ran in 57 Ford Nascars..

Back when I was blowing the Ford three speeds up in the 60's they were $25 at my favorite junk yard. Now we are dating ourselves  :003:

Before I got the BW T8,  I was blowing up the Ford transmissions so often that I had to carry a spare in the trunk.  In those days I replaced a lot of transmissions on the side of the road with a flashlight.   When I could not afford the $15 for one at the junk yards, I was forced to learn how to take them apart and rebuild them with pieces from my junk pile.   

lalessi1

Gotta love this site!!! BTW I have never "blogged" before. This is fun...thanks guys.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2014-12-09 20:05
Gotta love this site!!! BTW I have never "blogged" before. This is fun...thanks guys.
Me either, I don't do any social media stuff, tweeting, facebook, texting and what have you, The two forums I belong to are my limit..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Randyh

Pete, The levers arrived today, can't thank you enough.  It looks like I can make them work with a change in the bushing. 
Randy

djfordmanjack

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-12-09 15:39
The three speed all syncro top loader was a 303. They did have some models with a dual bolt pattern
Jim, what is that kind of transmission? I am totally puzzled with the different Ford standard trans. I have exactly that double bolt pattern trans and it has synchro in first also. gears look bulletproof. there is a C3*** number stamped on and cast in the housing. That should mean it is a 63 built unit ?!? is that a T10 or what is the 303. I haven't heard about these. can you give me some light ?
mine came from a 1957 292.

clusterbuster

I as well destroyed several 57 3 spd tranny components. That is why my 57 Ford forever is"Clusterbuster". I was always replacing the cluster gears in those 3 speeds.

petew

You are welcome Randy, as I said before they are identical to the levers on my T-85.

Pete

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-12-12 11:53
Jim, what is that kind of transmission? I am totally puzzled with the different Ford standard trans. I have exactly that double bolt pattern trans and it has synchro in first also. gears look bulletproof. there is a C3*** number stamped on and cast in the housing. That should mean it is a 63 built unit ?!? is that a T10 or what is the 303. I haven't heard about these. can you give me some light ?
mine came from a 1957 292.
Sorry for the late reply, storm knocked the cable out for a few hours. Your trans is the 303 type  with a top cover. They were used in many Ford cars and trucks in the 60's-70's mostly behind 289-302. The narrow bolt pattern was the most common and the dual was rare. The T10 was a Borg Warner 4 speed and has a side cover.

The C3 on the casting could be any year, that just means the casting was first made in 63 and could have been used for many models and years after. The exact original application information should be on a metal tag attached to the trans.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

thank you for the information! It can be difficult here in Europe to order spare parts, like seals, bearings, when you can't even identify what you have and there's nobody around to do so. I am not so familiar with the Ford standard transmissions except the 37-48 Flathead stuff. I have been rebuilding ( please forgive me) Muncies of all kinds for friends and customers, mostly because those are junk  :003: ( or at least they have their share of troubles, with bearings, shift forks and synchros)

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-12-12 15:44
thank you for the information! It can be difficult here in Europe to order spare parts, like seals, bearings, when you can't even identify what you have and there's nobody around to do so. I am not so familiar with the Ford standard transmissions except the 37-48 Flathead stuff. I have been rebuilding ( please forgive me) Muncies of all kinds for friends and customers, mostly because those are junk  :003: ( or at least they have their share of troubles, with bearings, shift forks and synchros)
If you can find the metal tag this info might help identify your model: 
http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/3speedidchart.htm
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang