News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Traction Masters

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2014-12-15 06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Are these the units called Traction Masters that work on a 57?
or was it another name?

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

As best I remember we just called 'em traction bars. Wouldn't these be application specific? I also remember a design that was rectangular with a big rubber stop. They bolted up on the spring plate only and didn't affect the ride.
Lynn

petew

Yes those Traction Masters will work great on your car . You just have to make sure that they are the proper length . They bolt to the bottom of your spring pad and bolt or weld to the flat area just ahead of your forward leaf spring bushing. I used to buy the Mustang units and extend them by welding in a section into the tube to make them fit other cars.

Pete

RICH MUISE

There's also Cal-Tracs. Bob (57AGIN) had some threads going on those a few years back.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Ahh yes Rich.Cal-Tracs.I was confused on the name.I will search those threads and re-read.Thanks guys!

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2014-12-15 07:31
As best I remember we just called 'em traction bars. Wouldn't these be application specific? I also remember a design that was rectangular with a big rubber stop. They bolted up on the spring plate only and didn't affect the ride.

Yes Lynn, the yellow bars with pinion snubs on the ends.We just called them traction bars.But I kind of remember that Some fords and Mopars had(have) a pinion snub over the the diff on the frame.I always thought this was for the diff to stay in place and not curl up under hard acceleration.
If i am correct.these hold your leaf springs tight and prevent a upward bind under hard acceleration.Yes?no?

JimNolan

Traction Masters is the name of the traction bar company. I've run them for about 4 years and they do an outstanding job. One end just bolts to the rear leaf spring bracket without having to take anything loose. You just buy eight nuts and washers for your U bolts. The other end is welded to your frame ahead of the front leaf spring support. They'll ask you how long you want them and this is the measurement you give them. The only problem I can see with them is they can get squeaky. The type poly bushing they use will drive you nuts if you don't lubricate them. I bought these because they've been the best on the market for drag racing since the late 50's. I watched Cal-Traks being installed by Bob Lee and decided I didn't want to go to the extremes he did to make them work. The other thing I don't like about mine is the few times I've had it on a trailer, the front brackets hit the trailer when loading, no big deal but they mount sticks down a little. There is absolutely NO spring wrap or wheel hop no matter how much power you have. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Zapato

Jeff, many moons ago ran a similar set-up in a first generation Bronco. Those were made by Jim Duff up in Sequim, Washington and really worked to keep the rearend from rolling during takeoff and shift changes eliminating what was referred to as the Bronco clunk. Not to mention extending u-joint life on them.

There are 2 youtube videos you should watch that will sell you on them.

Axle Movement (before caltracs)

Axle Movement (after caltracs)

the second one is way too long couple minutes is more than enough.

Seems to me that the caltracs have a unique front bracket that swings unto the spring unlike the bracket on the traction masters.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lalessi1

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2014-12-15 08:22

Yes Lynn, the yellow bars with pinion snubs on the ends.We just called them traction bars.But I kind of remember that Some fords and Mopars had(have) a pinion snub over the the diff on the frame.I always thought this was for the diff to stay in place and not curl up under hard acceleration.
If i am correct.these hold your leaf springs tight and prevent a upward bind under hard acceleration.Yes?no?

Traction bars are intended to stop axle hop which happens because the rear axle rotates in the opposite direction of the tires when accelerating. When it is hard acceleration a leaf spring can deform and it wants to lift the axle. When the wheel lifts it allows the spring to return to its normal shape and it starts again. Both designs try to address axle hop and improve traction by limiting axle roll. Axle hop happens only with leaf springs rear ends (I think) and stopping it obviously improves traction. You can sometimes stop hop with extra spring leaves. If the tires are spinning freely axle hop stops too. I have fashioned rearward facing bars for ground clearance before and they worked fine. Some GM cars used to use axle rotation to lift the rear end with links. That was to add a little more down force on the tires. I had a 66 SS396 like that.
Lynn