News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Explaining driveshaft angles

Started by Limey57, 2015-01-19 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

The video is only just over 2 1/2 minutes long but manages to explain things better than endless conversations or paragraphs in a book could ever do!  I knew the basics but after watching that it really brings home the importance of phasing driveshafts.  I guess a lot of folks on here know this, but for those that don't:

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2014/07/26/video-driveshaft-angle-and-phasing/
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

Gary, thanks for that link. It is extremely informative in a very simple demonstration! My first exposure to the concept.
Lynn

Limey57

For years I've been listening to people banging on about driveshaft angles and while I thought I understood it actualy seeing it demonstrated makes me realise I didn't fully understand it before.  I love videos like that.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

JimNolan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Read alot (emphasize on ALOT)of stuff on driveshaft/pinion angles...learned more in that 2 1/2 minute video...thanks for posting.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Gary   
   Thanks for that information.   There are lots of people that will benefit from it.  Jay

SkylinerRon

Thanks,
This is great reference info.

Ron.

jvo

Thanks for that!!!!!  I thought I understood it as well, but that really makes a lot of sense, and will definitely make me pay more attention next time I mount up an engine and trans. combination.  I had no idea that the driveline sped up and slowed down.  Makes sense on why we sometimes have some bad stuff happening and don't know why. Thanks again.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

RICH MUISE

Gary...I reposted your link to the video in the "Tech Link" area so we could find it easier later on. Thanks again.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

I've always wondered what the effect would be. All you ever heard was don't make drastic changes. This shows you why. When I installed my Tremec I noticed the back of the engine was down a bit (possibly 1-2") but I never gave it much thought as that would be too much. I did see where a lot of guys were raising the hump of their cars but thought that was just over compensating.
I've never had a vibration that I could feel and my U-joints have always been good. This week when I took my driveshaft out to have the 1350 ends put on it the u-joints were good and they've had at least 30K miles put on them. There must be some degree of change that is unnoticeable. Wish I knew what that was. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hiball3985

Normally about 2 degrees difference won't hurt anything, more then that starts causing problems. Ideally the pinion angle and the trans angle should be exactly parallel.
EXAMPLE:  If the trans is down -2 degrees the pinion should be up + 2 degrees..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-01-20 13:56
Normally about 2 degrees difference won't hurt anything, more then that starts causing problems. Ideally the pinion angle and the trans angle should be exactly parallel.
EXAMPLE:  If the trans is down -2 degrees the pinion should be up + 2 degrees..

Jim
   That's the way I have been doing it for years and it works with no problems.

Zapato

I love demonstrations like this that teach without making anyone feel stupid. Straight and to the point.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72