News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford AOD transmission

Started by Limey57, 2014-12-29 09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Okay, I've been driving for 28 years and 99% of my cars have been manual, so my auto trans experience is minimal.  My Ranchero came with a good AOD (not AODE) transmission which I'm going to use, but I've got a couple of questions:

Do these transmissions have a neutral safety switch built in, or do I have to use the original 57 Ford one on the end of the steering column?

How do these transmissions work?  Are they simply a 4 speed auto or are they a 3 speed with an overdrive 4th?  If so, how does the overdrive 4th work?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Don't know the answer to your question being an AOD but my 4R70W, which is a newer generation tranny originating with the AOD, AODE, has an external multi-function switch, one of the functions being the neutral switch. I would think your AOD also had an external switch....but just a guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1974-89-Ford-Lincoln-Merkur-Neutral-Safety-Switch-/380116612212?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5880b73474&vxp=mtr
That ebay switch, btw, is nothing like the one on later trannys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Capt997

I recently installed an AOD behind a 363 Ford Crate motor in a 66 Mustang we are building for a customer.  The Neutral Safety Switch was internal and the plug sticking out of the left front looked like the plug on the end of the one pictured in the ebay ad.  The only place I found the matching plug was at  Ron Francis Wire Works in PA. 

RICH MUISE

Probably just a matter of definition here. When I think of something "internal", I'm thinking of having to get to the inside of the tranny to remove it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I am thinking semantics on the overdrive thing. I had an AOD in the Custom I bought but I put in a 4 spd manual in short order. To me after a tad of research an AOD is a 4 spd automatic with the 4th gear being less than 1 to 1. To me a "real overdrive" implies that there is a final planetary gear set that alters the other gear ratios when it is employed. That is not the case in this case, an AOD is simply a 4 spd automatic. I don't think whoever put the AOD in my car had a clue..it would start in gear and it had an adapted manual column (guessing gears) with the clutch pedal still in the car (good for me).  :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Thats what I like with the old style OD, gives you six gears not just in 3rd OD. I've driven sticks all my life and auto's don't appeal to me at all. Every once and a while I have to drive the wifes Fusion and I still press in the clutch that isn't there before I turn the key  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

canadian_ranchero

there is a switch above and a little back from the shift lever.this operates the neutral safety and the back up lights.

Limey57

Thanks for the replies, I'd prefer to use a transmission mounted safety switch as I always think they're safer than one mounted on the column linkage due to movement of the linkage while the engine is ticking over.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 imposter

Quote from: Limey57 on 2014-12-30 13:56
Thanks for the replies, I'd prefer to use a transmission mounted safety switch as I always think they're safer than one mounted on the column linkage due to movement of the linkage while the engine is ticking over.
Limey57   I hope I am not too late on this but hooking an AOD to a carbureted engine can be very tricky. The transmission is controlled by the TV cable which is just as sensitive as a 700R4. The problem is created due to the fact that the geometry of the carb. lever that is pulling the cable is not the same as the throttle body it was originally hooked to. It took 3 complete transmission rebuilds to make a believer out of one of the guys in our group. The fix is to make a template from a throttle body that goes from the center of the shaft to to mounting point of the TV cable. Then duplicate that dimension onto your carb lever and make sure you have exactly the same travel.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Limey57 on 2014-12-30 13:56

That and the 57 will only start in neutral.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

if you use the switch from the AOD it will start in park and neutral.lokar makes a TV cable kit

lalessi1

TV cable in a car....a really long coax?  ???
Lynn

Limey57

TV cable?  Heck, never realised that.........  I heard loads of horror stories with guys using the 700R4 in hot rods trying to hook up the TV cable and untold grief/damage when done wrong.  Oh well, with gas at $9 a gallon (yes, you read that right......) I'll persevere with the AOD over the easier C4/C6.  Just expect lots of "how on earth" questions when I install it!

As ever, thanks for the help.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

Oh, that kinda TV cable. Thank you Mr. Google.

Actually by description this one is "self adjusting"....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-370815?seid=srese1&gclid=CJX12O2misMCFQdafgod3poAdA

Lynn

Limey57

Can I leave the TV cable off and just shift down manually with the column shifter or is the cable required for normal driving conditions?
Gary

1957 Ranchero