News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

polishing and coating plastic lenses

Started by lalessi1, 2015-01-08 09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I was watching an episode of "Graveyard Cars" (hard up, I know) and they polished and clear coated the taillight lenses with amazing results as far as you can tell on TV. Anybody ever done this?
Lynn

petew

I've had good results using compound and glaze but never tried the clear coat.

RICH MUISE

On my daily drivers that had headlight lenses badly pitted, foggy, yellow, etc. I used 320 wet or dry, then 600 then 1000 and hit it with a buffing compound/electric buffer (just about any polishing/buffing compound will work). It's the only way I could ever get them clear again..tried the magic potients..none of them came even close to working. Takes about 20 minutes, but it works, and you probably already have the stuff to do it.
I don't see why it wouldn't work on tailights....especially if you have a small power buffer..I've got a 3" HF air powered buffer...great for getting in smaller places.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

A while back I bought an "optically clear", two part epoxy, UV resistant clearcoat, in a spray can (!!!!) to use on my other car headlight lenses. After polishing all the yellow stuff off I was reluctant to try using the clear coat without having a way to test it or testimony that it would work for what I was using it for. Once you activate the can you have a limited time to use it too. This is kinda a side note, the clear coat has been around for 3 years.... I doubt it is still good. Besides the headlight lenses are integral to a Xenon headlight assemblies that are ridiculously expensive, I didn't want to experiment on them. I was hoping somebody here had used any type of clear coat on plastic lenses.
Lynn

34ford

I know old thread , for many yrs, cleaned w/ simple green blow dry w/ clean air. Use clear engine paint, few light coats, then medium "float out coat. Let dry few days and install. Some I did on 1 of My Avanti s were still good 5-6 yrs. later. 34

KYBlueOval

34 Ford, ......... Private Message sent to you.