News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Moving Radiator Forward

Started by JimNolan, 2015-01-18 12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Seems like i remember the 6 cyl radiator being slightly further forward than the V-8.
Core supports are the same 57-59, 6or8 so it must be the side brackets on the radiator are different.
Maybe someone with a 6 could post pics for comparison.

Ron.

dgasman

There is plenty of room . I moved mine forward 1 inch. You will have to raise the radiator up about 1/8 inch or the lower tank will rub the core support .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

JimNolan

Quote from: dgasman on 2015-01-20 01:11
There is plenty of room . I moved mine forward 1 inch. You will have to raise the radiator up about 1/8 inch or the lower tank will rub the core support .
How many times am I allowed to hit the applaud symbol for you? You've had all the answers for my installation all this time. Thanks for posting the pics of your Griffin radiator installation. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

The 6 cylinder radiator is 2 row and the V-8 is 3 row I'll bet the thinner core "moves the radiator forward". I have a 6 cylinder radiator in the attic, I'll pull it down and measure it and post a pic or two.
Lynn

LAUDY57

Here is a couple of pics of a 6 cyl rad (sorry for the quality). I measured 3 3/4 from the forward flange edge of the support to the rear of the core, 1 5/8 for the core thickness, and 2 for the distance from the pully fan face to the rad core.
My questions are how thick is the Griffin rad and what's the measurement from the mounting flange to the rear core face, and how about a Matson?
Dgasman, what shroud is that in your pic?
(Lalessi1 -sorry I spelled your name wrong in the other thread)
As has been said before, this forum is great for info, thanks guys!!
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

LAUDY57

Somethings screwy, I couldn't postmore than 1 small pic in the last post!

LAUDY57

Hmm-m-m.

LAUDY57

Now, that last pic was reduced to 139Kb before I posted it but it shows on the post as 2806Kb ??????
Sorry, I tried.

edit: some idiot (me) pulled the pics out of the original folder, not the one I made to hold the re-sized ones.

SkylinerRon

There are 2  V-8 and 2  6cyl radiators (regular and H-D).
Factory A/C and H-D cooling are the thicker cores but,
are obviously very rare.

Ron.

lalessi1

LAUDY57 thanks for the pics. In your first pic the mounting flange for the 6 cyinder radiator is flush with the engine. For the V8 it is flush with the front of the radiator! Looks like Ford moved the radiator forward in the radiator support... There you go!!!!
Lynn

JimNolan

Laudy57,
   Here is the measurement from the core support to the back of the radiator. It's 3".
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

LAUDY57

Thanks for the pics you guys! This is helping because I have been trying to find where my rad sits compared to the stock position and I was using my 6 cyl car as a comparison. I don't have the stock rad suppport and when Skyliner Ron said there's 2 of each type I was starting to wonder because if I order a rad with a 2-fan shroud (to clear the pump pulley in the centre) and it's not a custom built unit, I don't want to find out the hard way it won't fit even with mods to my mounts (I'm assuming the stock rads are the same mounting width).
In your pics I can see down to the crossmember, my bottom tank sits 1 1/2 forward from the front lip and 1/2 up from the top surface of the x-member, which looks close to both pics. The top of my cap is 23 above the x-member which leaves 3 clearance to hood (checked with model clay).
Jim, is that your Griffin rad in the pic? Is the mounting flange as it was built or was it movable and you placed it where you wanted?
My rad mounts are 1/2 sq tubes, 25 between inside faces. Easy to change or move but just I just like  to know how much I need to change things before I start hacking. In the Griffin catalog there's lots of rads that look like they will fit, the combo ones with shroud that are 5.68 total thickness are close but I don't know yet if that is rad +shroud only or rad +shroud+fan thickness. It's about $300 ship to border, so have to compare to shipping from S. Cal (Matson rads).

gasman826

I also struggled with the whole radiator thing.  Your core support is custom.  As far as that goes, your whole application is custom so measuring off a stock '57 may not be much value.  Do you know for sure your radiator is '57? 

I fought to get room between pulleys and radiator.  I had a fixed, mechanical fan and a fiberglass shroud.  I had borderline issues in slow traffic with the AC on.  No highway issues.  At first, I shopped for the biggest CFM electric fan I could find but they were all too thick and I was not convinced they pushed enough air.  But by using two smaller fans, I could get more CFMs without the single fan thickness.  The other bonus of two fans is the fans are offset with the thinnest part in the middle were your pulleys are...much like your one fan is offset to the right side of your radiator.

LAUDY57

My rad is not a '57, even the cap is in the centre. I was just hoping I could order a 57 rad and it would work but I don't think it will. I'm going thru the Griffin catalog (which shows core size but not mounting dims) and there are some that will work with 2 fans, it's just the thickness is the issue because I have a edge on the front end that seals to the front face of the core when the front end is closed. I like the Matson that 57agin has and it looks like they make it to my measurements(?) -I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I contact them again.

RICH MUISE

Just my 2 cents, Lorne, but the way I see it You have about as much of a chance of a '57 radiator working for you as a 72 Olds or a 59 Studebaker(?) Nothing on your setup is stock...use it to your advantage and just find or have built what you need.
The main reason I'm posting the obvious is I was wondering if you figured out what the radiator you have now is....posible the builder went with a more commonly available one like a Chebby That got me to wondering if you ever ran into anyone that knew anything about the previous owner/builder.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe