News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Swapp to a 300 CI I 6

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-01-22 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

58villager

hi swapped a 300 cube six into a 58 edsel wagon  fits ok, but fan clearance is close about 3/4 inch to rad. could not move rad forward due to hood hinges mounting near center of hood (unlike ford, which are closer to the outside .used 1990 f-150 motor/trans (4r70w) very close to firewall had to cut trans tunnel a bunch about 3-4 inches higher and wider
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

greaseball

Oh wow 58villager, great!
I'm really wondering about the motor-mounts you used-
Did you make yours or use stock ones?

Any other "problems"?
Thanks man!

58villager

hi there greasball had to cut old mounts off frame and build new ones further forward don't remember exactly how far but about 3-4 inches also had to move trans x-member back about 14 inches quite a deal as it had to be wider don't know what trans you are using but I used the auto overdrive from the truck (1990 f-150) that thing is HUGE!!! as I said rad was an issue due to edsel hood hinges near center of car performance pretty good considering rear gear (2.91) may swap that later after some miles only have 100 or so since swap hope this helps!
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

58villager

hi all a little more info on the 300 six swap mine was 1990 f.i. motor had rear sump pan hydraulic motor mounts swapped to earlier front sump pam (modify to clear x.member ) also early oil pump pickup used earlier mounts hydraulic mounts have history of failure kept the serp. belt had to move dipstick to forwars location , don't remember the details on that  hope this helps in your project