News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tailgate latch gasket

Started by jumping jack flash, 2015-01-23 15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

jumping jack flash

As my used and treasured parts are drying up, I realize there is one that I no longer have any of. I have always used a good used gasket (really it's an insulator) under the tailgate latch on my Rancheros. I have none left. I can't find one in my catalogs . Surely this is an oversight . There has to be someone out there who makes them. Anyone know who? All my good latches are gone too. I'll be rechroming unless some show up, then the Ranchero hoard will come out in me.

gasman826

I've been watching and the best I've seen needs to be restored.  Someone is making a repop colored, plastic insert...haven't seen a gasket.

hiball3985

I've never seen the gaskets in any of my searches over the last few years.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

I searched for over 5 years for the tailgate handle gasket and never found one.  Come to think of it I have never actually seen one on a car.

gasman826

B7A-5943848-A  Tailgate latch gasket

suede57ford

I lucked out and found a NOS one on a NOS Wagon latch a few years ago.   It was on eBay, and was right next to me in Amarillo.  It had a buy it now, and I didn't hesitate.   Maybe have been overpriced a the time, but now it seems like a bargain.   

I also found a NOS custom sedan Trunk emblem complete with gasket before the repos came out.  It is actually a better one then the repos as it does not have the drain slots on its.   Funny thing about the trunk/emblem/ latch. is that I was a swap meet in Oklahoma, trying to sell a black primer '57 Custom sedan with a 302/c4.  I bought the car out of Amarillo, from an ad in the Amarillo Sunday paper.  Gray primer and looked sad when I picked it up. While trying to sell the '57 at the swap meet a guy walks up and says he has a trunk emblem for sale on his table.  The only Ford part on the table.  $25.  I bought it.  A couple years later, I'm at a shop in Amarillo and a guy is telling me about a '57 he had.  Good description, that gray primered car was his in the 60's.  He told me he bought a new trunk emblem from Ford for it back then, never put it on, and finally sold it at an Oklahoma swap meet.  I explained to him, I bought the emblem from him at that swap meet, and he walked around his old car and never recognized it.   That car is the black '57 Alan Strickler from Iowa now owns.

I never used either NOS emblems on any of my cars yet.  They are way too nice to use.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

jumping jack flash

Let me know if you ever want to sell the tailgate latch. Cool story of a very small world we live in.