News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Toploader

Started by lalessi1, 2015-01-27 14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-28 20:14
I'm planning on redoing the  complete rear end all at the same time..shorten, trac-loc, axels, bearings, discs, longer yoke, springs, shackles, etc. I'm hoping by getting the longer yoke I can avoid the costs of a custom driveshaft. I wasn't aware of the preload problem though...good to know if things change.
I really screwed myself, I had a new ring, pinion, bearings etc set up in my rear end so I don't want to upset that, and a custom drive shaft made when I put in the T85 and I'm about an inch shorter then I would like to be  :005:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

The way to do it:
You need a Galaxie T/L w/the shifter mount in front and the longest
tailhousing (1964 is perfect). Ford used the long housing to shorten the driveshaft. Get the 61-64 bolt in shifter hump (repro'd).
Bolt them in and build from there. Your shifter will be in the correct location as will the rubber mount.
There is an aftermarket part made to replace the Hurst tower so you can bolt on a stock Ford stick if you wish.
Available from most of the usual vendors.
The later big car rear yokes are longer than 57-59's but, to change you will have to check/reset the bearing preload after.
David Kee repops the T/L hardparts.
Stop and take a deep breath....
Goodluck,
Ron.

lalessi1

Update. I found a 25 1/2" Toploader transmission. They came in Sunbeam Tigers so I started looking for a Sunbeam transmission, one on ebay now! The issue with it is that it has a narrow bolt pattern at the bellhousing and wide ratios. I also found a rebuilt Galaxie close ratio that has the next best tail housing, the guy will swap for the one I have plus a few bucks. I won't need the tunnel hump with this transmission and the parts I have (besides my carpet is glued down), I will just have the drive shaft shortened. I am still looking for the housing but I am leaning towards the Galaxie trans. I will pull the trigger after I mull this over for a couple of days. Shifter in the right place, rebuilt transmission, speedo cable on the correct side, close ratios, hmmm...
Lynn

hiball3985

Do what you think is best, I would use the Galaxie if it was mine. That was my original plan but that all changed when I was able to get the T85.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

Unless you are road racing i'd ditch the close ratio gears.
The close has a 2.32 First, wide is 2.78 which gets the car moving easier.
Most drag race cars like about 3.00 (Jerico, ect.)
The T-85 is usually 2.49 first.
I think the Tiger trans has the speedo on the pass side as the Mustang is.
Goodluck w/your project,
Ron.

lalessi1

Ron,

I have discovered all of the 15 1/2" drive shafts have the speedo gear on the drivers side. I have a 3.89 rear end so I think the overall gear ratios would be better with the close ratio first gear especially with a high torque /low rpm engine like the FE. Overall in first is 10.81 now, with the close ratio it would be 9.02. That is the same overall as a wide ratio with a 3.25 rear gear.
Lynn

SkylinerRon

I like more gear, like 12 to 1 so i can change rear tire height to suit.
Example, My 61 Starliner 3950 lbs  2.78x4.57x29.5". A real blast on the street.
A close box always felt like it had 1 shift too many for the time in each gear. Like an F-1 car.
Gears have always been the biggest bang for the buck. Like adding 50 cu in. Headers on an FE are a close 2nd.
Goodluck w/whatever combo choice you make,

Ron.