Wagon tail gate question,unknown holes in lower structure ?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2015-02-04 15:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I have disassembled my lower tailgate for rust removal and I see these two holes in the lower area, just behind the hinges. both sides. when you lower the tailgate you can see them. They make no sense to me and I would like to know if they are factory og or somebody drilled them?! otherwise will weld them up. can anybody tell me if their wagon has them or not ?

jumping jack flash

RICH MUISE

that's what I was thinking, but I don't have a wagon to look.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

That's what I thought first but they are in a totally awkward position. no use as drain holes. maybe something to keep the panels aligned in production or maybe someone drilled them ? I'd appreciate anybody with a wagon taking a look if they are present.
I want to keep small factory details, only doing mild custom work.

Ford Blue blood

The large holes look like they were cut to house fairly large speakers.  Those holes (big ones) were the same shape as the center large hole (stamped).  My guess those little holes are for speaker wires to exit the gate inconspicuously.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Isn't there someone that has a 57 wagon that they could just take a look and see for sure if those holes are factory or not?  I would hate to see Guenter weld them up if they are original to the wagons. Thanks Jay.     

Ford Blue blood

The gate had three large stamped out holes exactly the same size and shape as the center hole.  Look at the lower left corner of the first photo and you can see the edge of the stamping that was originally there.  The edge is in the corner just before the cut out area.  The second thing that I noticed is the small hole next to the big curved cut out which would lead one to believe that was for a screw to hold a speaker in place.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Thanks Ford Blue blood
     I'm certain that Guenter in Austria is going to see this. Jay

djfordmanjack

Yes the gate has been cut for speakers by some '******' ! I am currently repairing all of that, since it is affecting the strength of the gate structure from hinges to the struts. I can't understand why anybody would cut such ugly holes anywhere. they even cut through the bracing in the hinge area, removing 1 of only 4 spot welds. FYI the 3 holes are not exactly the same size, aprox 3/4" difference. but I have enough left of the opening corners so I can restore them properly.
I have already welded up the holes that were from the speaker screws. there are a lot of other holes punched from factory, to hold the inner upholstery panel, and the 4 stainless moldings. I will leave all those intact.
will post pics later.
those little holes I was talking about first, they look as if stamped. there is little to no burr on the inside, which would occur when drilled later.
It is just a small non important detail but I want to get it right. Although I will be custumizing the car somewhat (sorry, Jay), shaving the tailgate lock off, but I want to make it look like in the 50s/60s. which means only small areas are reworked/customized and the little details should be as factory correct as possible.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-02-06 09:57
  It is just a small non important detail but I want to get it right. Although I will be custumizing the car somewhat (sorry, Jay), shaving the tailgate lock off, but I want to make it look like in the 50s/60s. which means only small areas are reworked/customized and the little details should be as factory correct as possible.

Shaving the tailgate lock off???  WHAAAAT?  Someone please pass me my medicine.
     Jim ...did you see what he just wrote?   We need to talk to that young man.   HAHA
     Actually it's your car so I'll respect what you think is good for it. 
     Now what did I do with my instructions for shaving the door handles on my 57? 

Ford Blue blood

My Ranchero gate does not have those holes you were asking about.  I believe they used the same stampings for both wagons and Rancheros.  I would have taken a picture of the inside but it is buried at the moment......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

jvo

I just went out to the garage and checked my Ranchero tailgate.  It most certainly does have those holes in it.  They are approximately 3/8 inch, and mine both have nasty burrs on the inside, like they were drilled.  I'll check my spare Ranchero tailgate tomorrow as well, its not as accessible at 10 PM.  Cold up in the loft and I think there are some boogie men up there.

I never noticed the holes before, as I haven't removed the plates in front of them as you have done. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

canadian_ranchero

here are some pictures of the bottom of my tail gate.hope this helps

djfordmanjack

Many thx to everybody checking their Ranchero gates, but they are different from the wagon.first they don't have the lock assemblies for the upper tailgate obviously and judging from CanadianRanchero's pics it has some stuff attached in the inside from the bottom. you can see the 4 screws. none of them are present in the wgn gate, nor the holes for them.
the small holes in mine are 3/8 and they have just slight burrs in the inside, as if they were punched from the factory, they are evenly spaced also. I doubt somebody cutting for speakers with an axe would be careful enough to do so.
There are more pics of the gate building progress in my wagon topic on 'membersrides''.

Yes Jay, confessing I will be pulling the lock/handle. I have always been a fan of nosing and decking, it makes the car look much smoother, especially since the 57 wagan has such a nice crown on the gate, just beautiful shape. my gate has all been knocked in, punched for a puller and whatnot. the edges are rusted, so if I can save the skin, I'll be lucky anyways. it will be easy now to cut and weld up all that mess and then run the skin through the Englisch wheel.I think I can reshape it properly. All of that wouldn't be possible with the handle recess in place. It is only a half good skin anyways and I can reskin it with an good og handle skin later anyways.
99% going to keep the door handles and locks though. looks better and the handles are beautifully shaped too.

Ecode70D

Günter  I did bolt the tail gate on my ranch 57 wagon before I let it go.  Not sure if this a picture of the top or bottom with all of the stuff around it.  If this does not help I could go and look at it where it is, and take pictures with my new camera. The problem is that the place where it is, is buried under just as much snow as I have because as you it's not far from my house.  Hopefully someone with a Ranch Wagon or Del Rio will chime in.  Jay