News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

After market front sway bars

Started by lalessi1, 2015-02-15 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

You have to "thread" the bar through the openings between the frame and the lower control arms...
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, if possible some pictures when you do the install would be helpful for my simple mind  :003:
The large curved center section almost looks like it would go over the balancer?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I plan on posting pics when I get around to doing the install. I believe the bar will be below and forward of the balancer. The install is all about getting clearance to actually position the bar. It looks really tight right now to me.
Lynn

lalessi1

I found a couple of pictures online that show where the swaybar mounts on a '59 Ford. You will have to copy and paste the address and click on the search results to see the pics.

http//en.martinsauto.com/cgi-bin/md/M11597/s92.pl

http//en.martinsauto.com/cgi-bin/md/M11597/s77.pl

Here is a picture of the clamps I bought on eBay. This is going to be a bigger job than I had hoped. Looks like the lower control arms may need to be removed to drill holes for mounting. I doubt the frame material is thick enough to tap so I need to figure out a way to get nuts inside the frame rails? Cutting and welding could be a pain since I would need help in those endeavors. I need to change the bushings in the control arms anyway but I would rather not pull the car apart in perfect driving/car show weather. Problems, problems, problems... :005:
Lynn

hiball3985

Mounting the 59 brackets looks like a major project. Just something to think about but when I pulled my trans cross member one of the nuts that is in the frame was stripped some what from removing the rusted bolt. I drilled it out and placed a new nut on a long bolt, using the bolt to hold the nut in place while my son welded it. Then removed the bolt, ground the weld flat and ran a tap through it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

I'd try to get a look under a 59-64 and see how the factory did it.

Probably caged nuts. Wouldn't trust just threads in the frame.

Maybe possible to make an "L" bracket using the bumper bracket bolts.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Raven Rider

TTT I'm still waiting on install info and pictures :001:

lalessi1

i am still doing "homework" on the install (and my brakes developed an issue). I saw a "Garage Squad" episode and I captured a pic of the swaybar location on a 63 Galaxie. There is an "access" hole in a 63 frame that if I cut out may allow me to put nuts on the the sway bar brakets inside the frame rails....
Lynn

MT

I haven't read through all the threads on sway bars, but it seems all the aftermarket sway bars attach to the frame and have links like most modern bars.  Do any go in the original location, using the 4 attaching points on the lower A-arms?

lalessi1

I think the ADDCO bar mounts in the stock location. I have issues with the original design personally. It seems like a rather ineffective design to me.
Lynn

Raven Rider

I looked at the links Lassie posted above and it looks to me this 59 bar may be a problem for motors that are set back more than the stock motor.  It sure looks like a hassle to install to me.  I wonder if you could unbolt the motor mounts and raise the front of the motor enough to squeeze it in?

MT

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-04-22 20:08
I think the ADDCO bar mounts in the stock location. I have issues with the original design personally. It seems like a rather ineffective design to me.

I agree that it is not very efficient.  I am trying to maintain an original appearance with my 500 though.

lalessi1

Quote from: Raven Rider on 2015-04-23 12:39
I looked at the links Lassie posted above and it looks to me this 59 bar may be a problem for motors that are set back more than the stock motor.  It sure looks like a hassle to install to me.  I wonder if you could unbolt the motor mounts and raise the front of the motor enough to squeeze it in?

The bar mounts in front of the motor I believe. The instructions say you need to disconnent one lower control arm from the ball joint and remove the harmonic balancer to get the clearance needed to fit the bar. It also says some report they were able to install it by removing the harmonic balancer only.
Lynn

mschrader

I tried to read through all the posts before buying my sway bars and it was very imformative.  I went with the TSW/Concours bars.  Front bar was very easy to install.  Rear bar was easy until I was at the point of mounting the L brackets to the frame.  A bolt and nut were supplied to mount to the frame.  I decided to use a blind nut instead of cutting an access hole in the frame for installation of the nut. 
Tire clearance is a concern with the front bar.  I currently have Coys 17x7 with a 4 1/4" back spacing and 225/50R17 tires.  They just touch the bar.  In my opinion it is not enough to cause any issues.  Of course I just finished with installation and one test drive so time will tell. 
Ground clearance of the bar on my car is 7.5" on the front.  As I purchased the car with the disk brake mod already installed I really don't know how much lower it is than stock. 
The most positive aspect of this is the handling.  Very much improved!! I was impressed.  My car now handles like a modern one.
I have included a photo of the front bar installation.  There are plenty of other photos on the forum, but none that I could find with the installation on a completed car.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting that, and welcome to the forum from another Texan! A few questions to clarify...When you say the tire just touches the bar, I assume you mean at full lock? Does it touch on both sides, and what are you running for steering?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe