News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

After market front sway bars

Started by lalessi1, 2015-02-15 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-20 15:01
I know mine is low with the Granada spindles and stock springs. I just redrilled the front holes and let it pivot up on the rear bolts but it only gained about a 1/2", more and it would have hit the bracket that holds the core support. I've bottomed it out on a few dips and driveways, the zerk fittings are gone  :003:
Jim, I'll have a similar set up to yours when I get this all assembled. Based on your experience, I'm thinking it would be adviseable for me to re-locate the zerks to either the front or rear of the bracket, rather than on the bottom as they come from Concours. Weld up the bottom hole, drill the bushing and drill and tap the bracket.I've only looked at my bar and parts briefly, so I'm not "hands on familiar" with the parts and installation, but thinking this would work. What do you think.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas
John

lalessi1

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-21 05:14
Lynn, can you please expand on  "I can raise the bar up by about 3/4 " by REDRILLING the bracket holes" Which brackets are you redrilling? Any photos?
Thanks and Merry Christmas
John

I will post some pics later today, before and after. Also there are two sets of holes for bolting the bar to the bottom of the bracket, I used the pair of holes that move the bar forward. I don't think the bar would clear my frame in the rearward position. That gives me the clearance to raise the bar. Moving the zerk fittings would not be a bad idea but the bushing has a raised small boss where the fitting is now to help get the grease to the right place.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-21 05:25
Jim, I'll have a similar set up to yours when I get this all assembled. Based on your experience, I'm thinking it would be adviseable for me to re-locate the zerks to either the front or rear of the bracket, rather than on the bottom as they come from Concours. Weld up the bottom hole, drill the bushing and drill and tap the bracket.I've only looked at my bar and parts briefly, so I'm not "hands on familiar" with the parts and installation, but thinking this would work. What do you think.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas
John
I think your solution would work just fine. In my case I'll probably wear out before the bushings do. If I notice any major wear in the future I'll just replace the bushings.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-21 06:44
I will post some pics later today, before and after. Also there are two sets of holes for bolting the bar to the bottom of the bracket, I used the pair of holes that move the bar forward. I don't think the bar would clear my frame in the rearward position. That gives me the clearance to raise the bar. Moving the zerk fittings would not be a bad idea but the bushing has a raised small boss where the fitting is now to help get the grease to the right place.
Lynn I think the two sets of holes are there so they only had to make one part to fit both left and right sides if I remember correctly?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-21 11:52
Lynn I think the two sets of holes are there so they only had to make one part to fit both left and right sides if I remember correctly?

Not really... there are left and right brackets. There is a notch that mounts to the rear.

Well I just "raised the bar"...pun intended. Here are a few pictures.

"Bracket 1"  is the left bracket mounted as designed.
"Bracket 2"  is the same bracket off the car. Notice the "notch" and the 4 holes on the bottom. I used the first and the third    holes.
"Bracket 3"  new holes

Lynn

lalessi1

"Bracket 4" left bracket reinstalled.
"Bracket 5" right bracket before modifying for comparison.

The limiting factor on how far up you can raise the bar is access to and clearance of the rear bolt head. you can see it in the "Bracket 5" pic.

"Sway Bar After" shows how much clearance to the radiator support remains. I gained at least 3/4" ground clearance. Now I have almost 6 1/2".

Lynn

hiball3985

You are right, my memory is going to hell  :005: I went out and looked. My bar seems to be closer to the radiator support and I have 6" between the bar and ground, difference is probably suspension and tire size..

Just as a note, at 6" I still hit some parking lot wheel stops
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Weird...mine almost touches the radiator support. I didn't modify anything.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-21 12:47
"Bracket 4" left bracket reinstalled.
"Bracket 5" right bracket before modifying for comparison.

The limiting factor on how far up you can raise the bar is access to and clearance of the rear bolt head. you can see it in the "Bracket 5" pic.

"Sway Bar After" shows how much clearance to the radiator support remains. I gained at least 3/4" ground clearance. Now I have almost 6 1/2".
Thanks for the explanation and the photos. I've got a question about photo #5. I understand you must leave room for access to the back bolt that secures the bracket and bushing. Could those two bolts be welded to the large bracket, eliminating the flat washer and allowing the large bracket to be mounted even higher, creating more ground clearance?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

John, that got me to thinking. What if we removed the bolts completely and just welded in studs? This also jogged my memory, I didn't like the way the two pieces of the large bracket was only welded on the inside and I put a bead on the outside also, maybe overkill.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-21 15:43
John, that got me to thinking. What if we removed the bolts completely and just welded in studs? This also jogged my memory, I didn't like the way the two pieces of the large bracket was only welded on the inside and I put a bead on the outside also, maybe overkill.
Jim, Studs work for me! More clearance. My guess is that the manufacturer / supplier of the kit didn't want to get into welding studs. Another step, another cost, another sub involved in getting the "Kit " together. As to the additional welding............I like overkill. It is easy to do now before it is installed.
I just finished re-welding the entire frame. Overkill.........I know. It stayed together for 50+ years, so why bother. I want it to be right, and look right as well. The only person that will see it is the guy I run over.
John

hiball3985

Besides the extra cost of doing studs they probably designed it with a stock ride height in mind, then we come along and decide the lower the car in the front  :003:

I also welded some sections of my frame but not the entire length. Then I learned why they don't use a continuous weld  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Well, they've obviously changed up something since I got mine...my bracket isn't welded, it's angle iron. I suspect the bar itself may be different also.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

If I had the equipment and skills I would fabricate a flat plate welded to the frame just under the bumper brackets. I can see a simple way to raise the bar up enough to where it above the bottom of the radiator support. I looked at pics of 57AGIN's sway bar and his seems to be mounted further back on the bracket...back hole location???

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3116.msg18352#msg18352
Lynn

hiball3985

Here is one of the pictures I posted back in Dec 2013 when we were discussing bars.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang