News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

djfordmanjack:

Not really.  It is a Hap Jacobs 10' long surfboard I had Jacobs build me about 1995.  It was hard to turn and I had much more maneuverable longboards from Stewart Surfboards, so after I got my 57 safely back on the road in 2004 I began using it as a display in my 57.  I live about 6 miles from a nice gentle surf break in Seal Beach, CA adjascent to the South East entrance to Long Beach harbor.  I also live about 10 miles from the more aggressive surf break at Huntington Beach, CA.  I do have my original surfboard, bought used in 1959 and surfed until I bought my first modern longboard in 1985.  That surfboard has been restored and hangs in a place of honor in the master bedroom.

Bob
57 AGIN

djfordmanjack

Cool stuff Bob!
I cruised my Del Rio between Long Beach and Huntington Beach when I was there in 2013. we were at Don the Beachcomber, the Dynotones were playing that night. you probably know these places as well :002: :003: now I'm hijacking your thread....haha

57AGIN

djfordmanjack:

Yes, I'm very familiar with all of those places.  I've bought some wet suits from Coral Reef located on Beach Boulevard, which is located about 1 mile from Santini's where my car was repaired, probably when you were here.  I've surfed, in my younger days, along the cliff's in Huntington Beach and by the Newport Beach Pier (not in one of your photos).  You've traveled along Highway 101, better known as Pacific Coast Highway (or PCH) and although it is now full of many stop lights is still a very scenic and enjoyable drive.  If you were to have driven PCH, North of Los Angeles Airport (LAX) it would have taken you through Venice and Santa Monica then up past Malibu and up to the Ventura area.  If you stayed on 101 you could have then driven past the Hurst Castle, the red wood forest (Big Sur) and beyond San Francisco. Maybe someday when you and maybe Alan from New Zeeland are here in the States we could arrange some kind of Pacific Coast cruise.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Well Guys:

Here is the next installment of the rehabilitation process on 57 AGIN.  As I indicated last week the seats are in getting some minor changes, yet still using most of the existing leather, to keep the costs down.  These shots are of Rene, owner of the upholstery shop and Rodrigo, his brother working on my front seat modifications.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are the final 2 photos taken on Thursday.  They show Rodrigo installing the leather over the foam backing protection using hog rings.  Interesting process.  Next week after installing the front seat back into the 57, I'll deliver the car to the upholstery shop for the carpet, side and trunk upholstery to be fitted in installed into the car.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

It has finally happened, the re-upholstered front seat is temporarily installed so the car can be driven over to the upholstery shop for the additional upgrade.  First, Rick and I are going to give the car a test ride to ensure it is safe to drive then it will be at the upholstery shop for about a week (I hope it's only a week).  Meanwhile at home I can tear out a work bench in the back of the garage to make room for the car when the bumpers are back on the car.  We replaced the original wood garage door with a nice aluminum electric one while the car was at Santini's.  In the process we lost about 6 to 8 inches of garage depth, due to the location of the door roller track.  Needless to say an unanticipated consequence. LOL

Here are a few photos of the few front seat as well as a comparison photo.  Both my wife and I like the look of the new upholstery better, the two tones of gray compliment the pewter paint and the touch of blue ties the internal and external colors together. IMO

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

I really really liked the white, but honestly, this is a big improvement. Hard to believe. Nice decision, Bob.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Rich:

Actually, the color of the seats before and the lighter color of the seats now is the same. The great majority of the interior is using the existing light gray leather hides, the only changes are in the addition of the darker shade of gray leather and using a diamond pattern instead of the straight wide pleats and the addition of a bit of blue to the seat back about shoulder height.  The entire carpet is being changed from a medium gray pile to a dark gray short loop (typical auto carpet).  The pile showed dirt badly and was showing wear as well.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Marc

57AGIN

Marc:

Thanks, I'm sure hoping the slightly different look will make some of those Brand X people turn their heads.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

More progress on the Re-upholstery.  Today I went to Glide Engineering (maker of the front seat) and obtained the new latch mechanism for folding the front seat forward & laying it back.  During the accident an ice chest and suitcase were in the back seat and were catapulted forward into the back of the front seat and breaking the passenger side cable mechanism that controlled the leaning of the seat forward and laying the seat backward.  The ends of the cable had a tendency to fail due to overuse (fatigue) or from shock damage.  Back at the upholstery shop Rene's brother was working on the new Diamond pattern darker gray leather for the door panels.  There are a few photos of the process used.  So far I'm very pleased with the new look.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

I also worked on repairing the non-working Hi-Tone horn for the 57.  First drilling out the rivets holding the horn mechanism together.  When the internals of the horn were exposed, we found no debris in the operating mechanism of the horn, but there was plenty of rust coating the vibrating plate and inside of the cover plate.  This rust was carefully removed in a bead blasting booth using walnut shells.  The cover plate was no problem as it is thick steel.  However, the vibrating plate is very thin metal and great care was taken not to overheat and warp that piece.  A small problem with one of the contact points inside the horn operating mechanism was seen to be loose and was then soldered to ensure a good electrical connection.  When the horn was reassembled, the tone adjusting screw was cleaned and adjusted until a nice Hi tone was reached and able to be maintained.  That was a relatively easy fix that just worked out nicely (for a change).lol

Bob
57 AGIN

billd5string

Thanks for posting that about rebuilding the horns. I had no idea they could be fixed that way, that is extremely cool!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Swank

That is good to know about the horns, one of mine quit after about 3 toots, i know its got some wasp nest pieces i couldnt get out.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)