News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Handy foam. Inspired by Rich Muse

Started by electricalan, 2015-03-12 20:17

Previous topic - Next topic

electricalan

Rich,I thought of your speaker panels while doing a serious prune job on my apple tree.In the old days they used to fill the rotted out knot holes with concrete.Plays hell with my chainsaw,and not waterproof.They now recommend handy foam.I was refilling a spot that didnt get cut off and had a bit left over. What to do?I then recalled what I had used a partial can for at work a year ago.I repaired a plastic insert in a 20 year old socket set.As luck would have it I had a simular set in my garage with the same problem.Hard to get sockets in and out when liner is cracked up.I also made a fake rock for right below the waterfall in my pond out of that stuff about ten years ago,and nobody has ever guessed.I do like your speaker panels.
                                    heres some pics. Al   
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

electricalan

and

electricalan

liner, I first scotch taped the cracks.Solid lifetime lineer when done.

RICH MUISE

Very clever. I like the rock especially, that is, I think I like the rock, I can't tell which one it is. I did finish up the second speaker panel. I never mentioned how I finished those, btw. After sanding the plaster cloth, I gave it 3 coats of Modge-Podge. Made it hard and smooth. From there I glued on a 1/4 " foam, added a dome shaped speaker cover, then covered everything with the vinyl.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

electricalan

It was directly under the waterfall stone.I was having trouble getting any real rock to stay in the position.I love your speaker job ,but was wondering how you kept the shape looking equal from left one to right one. Thanks Al

RICH MUISE

Actually, the shape isn't exactly the same..intentionally. I didn't want the speaker on the driver's side sticking as far out so as not to interfere with leg room at the gas pedal. You can't see both sides at the same time unless your straddling the bucket seats anyways.
I had mentioned early on that I had done a half dozen panels/covers, and each one of them using a different process. of all the methods I used, this one quite frankly would probably be the one I'd be least likely to use again, at least definetly so on a bigger panel. The method using fleece stretched over a shape then saturated with fiberglass epoxy is my favorite. I used that one on the rear seat side panels. For the rear seat panels, I formed a cage of 1/8 x 1/2 steel welded together and covered with 1/4" hardware cloth (chicken wire), the the fleece.
The method using a build-up/gluing of multi layers of chipboard is great also, and lots of fun to do. That's what I did my door panels with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

electricalan

Thanks for all the info as always.I probably will never attempt any of them without checking in to knowledge central here.
                                                                                               Take care Al