News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Muffler location

Started by akronterr, 2015-02-28 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Jeff
  They look nice.  Have you ever heard a car running with Porters on it?  Are you going to place the Porters in the stock location or somewhere in the rear?  If in the rear, do you have enough room without interfering with the fuel tank?   This theory of mounting them in the rear sounds interesting.

lalessi1

Man I really like the Porter stuff. Crap, just when I thought I had figured out what I wanted its back to the drawing board!!!! It makes sense that you can make more power with the mufflers as far away from the engine as possible... the exhaust gases can cool, become more dense, and then can move through the mufflers faster with less pressure drop.
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

Jay,Lynn,
Yes, I have heard different cars personally and that is why I bought a set for my coupe.I have heard them on a flatty,Y-Block and of course a taxi cab engine(C**v)
Each engine gives a distinct sound and of course the sound differs on how much an engine is modified.The ones I have heard all have crisp rap at a throttle burst but mellow out to a cool burble at idle.Nothing annoying.
Lynn, I have not heard them on any FE motor as of yet,but I am gonna try to get a custom length set made to fit in the rear of my 57.(that's the plan so far)
Jay,I have a line diagram somewhere in one of my 57 Ford manuals that shows a 57 with a full muffler system and "resonators" in the location we are talking about.No where again have i seen this illustration  or heard mention of it in any other literature.
the image shows the resonators to be about the same size as a set of porters, thats when the wheels started to turn.ha ha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

I have seen the rear resonators in print somewhere as well. I wanted to put glasspacks in the back in 1965! I guess I forgot.... :003:
Lynn

Ecode70D

Lynn and Jeff
   Honestly I do remember the resonators and they were toward the back of the car.  They were in addition to the mufflers that were in the standard location under the seat.  It has been a looong time since I last saw them or even gave any thought to them, and they were on 57 Fords in Mass.   So Jeff I'm backing you up that they did exist for real.  I also remember when people were bypassing them with a straight pipe.
   Maybe it was just a Mass. thing  but they seem to have just disappeared into time.
   Rich is too young to remember those things even though he lived here. HAHA  Jay

junior58

It shows the full exhaust system in the workshop manual, including the resonators at the rear. The tailpipes cross over the rear axle and then swing out to the outside of the chassis rails (so they are not between the rails and the fuel tank), so that would put the tips further toward the outer ends of the rear bumper (as per PDF image attached)
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Jeff Norwell

Yes!,That's the image.On my car the hangers are still attached in the rear at the outside of the frame.Thank you junior58 for posting that image.

lalessi1

That pdf is what I saw lately that I most recently forgot... When I saw that in the manual it reminded me of what I saw a long time ago that I forgot first. I KNOW I never saw those resonators on a real car ever!!! Maybe factory dual exhaust were rare. I seem to remember exhaust pipes on most cars being inside the rear springs mostly but I know I saw them outside the springs as well. Early model running production change???? Confusion reigns supreme!
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Verly interesting (in Sgt. Schultz's German accent)....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

junior58

Here's what mine looks like
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Lynn....I know exactly what you're saying...I knew about them once, then forgot until the subject was just brought up. I can't even remember what they were for. One would think coming from Detroit they were to quiet things down, but I've got something in the back of my head that's telling me it was to add a "rumble" to the sound....as I would think the name "resonator" would imply.
Jeff...you ought to post that on the Hamb to see what the responses are.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-03-15 21:03

Jeff...you ought to post that on the Hamb to see what the responses are.

No way... :003:

MeanGene

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2015-03-16 12:05

No way... :003:

Wassamatter- afraid you'll get banned LOL? Oh, that's right, Metalshapes is no longer a "Moderator/God" over there  :booty:

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: MeanGene on 2015-03-16 15:34
Wassamatter- afraid you'll get banned LOL? Oh, that's right, Metalshapes is no longer a "Moderator/God" over there  :booty:

I am not afraid of anybody pal.
As for the reason,that board would have ZERO idea of what we are talking about here,nor do they really care.

lets move on.