Crazy thought today, wonder if anyone else has had it...........

Started by Zapato, 2015-03-04 22:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

was looking at the y-block truck exhaust manifolds and had what might be an ah-ha moment, maybe not. noticed how up front where the crossover pipe  bolts on the flange turns in and forward. so maybe they could be used on a passenger car by running them upside down and backwards. they would kick inwards toward the block, of course the passenger side manifold would need one end blocked off or one could use 2 driver side manifolds. let me know if you've ever heard of anyone doing this or am I way out in centerfield on this one.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

SkylinerRon

Bleachers  LOL!
Too small to bother.
Does remind me decades ago 49-53 Flatheads had a similar crossover set-up.
Someone sold a  U pipe that would sweep back over the manifold and down like a
regular head pipe.
No left side manifolds w/rear exit were made back then.
There are several headers made now for Y-Blocks but, 57 up manifolds work great.

Ron.

Zapato

yup! lot of neat stuff available today, just looked at them and it reminded me of using 2 right side manifolds on a j2 olds in a 41 ford as space between the block and steering was less than adequate. not denying there are many other ways to do this just seeing this as another way.

personal experience is that by the time I think of these kind of things find someone else has done it twice.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

djfordmanjack

Zap, if it would be that easy, no 312 manifolds would sell on ebay... :003: of course I thought about that too.
As far as I recall the centerline of the manifold bolts is slightly off so it makes it impossible to run them upside down. I think you would also get into trouble with the spark plug wires. and It would look **** with one manifold up, the other one down.
the oem Ford dual exhaust manifolds are not so hard to find, but quite pricey. mybe you can get them cheaper by buying single items and making a pair. there are several castings that could be used, also 56 and earlier dual manifolds. they have a smaller diameter but will work on a 292.

Ecode70D

Yes on what Günter stated.
   Actually I do remember that back in the day they would block off the forward hole on the right front manifold and make a jury rig connection of flex pipe for the left manifold that cleared the clutch linkage.  The whole mess looked crummy and usually had a generous amount of exhaust leaks.