News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Dual headlights

Started by JDoug, 2015-02-26 12:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JDoug

Hi all...I am new to site and hope I am in the correct forum..  I recently read that Ford produced 8 1957 Fairlanes with dual headlights. does any one know if this is true? Or for what purpose? Or is there any record of VIN's or body types, etc....  Really curious about this since my neighbor has a Ranchero with them...  I do know you can buy conversion kits .. He does not know if original or not...  My project coming this fall is a "survivor" .. '57 Convertible, triple white w/ D code 312.. I am 3rd owner and it has sat in my garage now for 11 years.. Time to get her back on the road

JDoug

Ford Blue blood

Doug, welcome aboard.  Your neighbor might have a 58 Ranchero as they were the same as 57s with 58 front clip and trim.  Never heard of a 57 Fairlane with duals...but then I'm an old bugger and miss a lot of things....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

junior58

Welcome aboard, you have joined the friendliest, most helpful forum that I've ever had the pleasure of joining.
If you have read "Ford produced 8 1957 Fairlanes with dual headlights" on one of the classic car sales sites, then I would not take that as gospel. Looking at that particular car, it is far from stock, with a custom front grille, custom rear bumper treatment, Cadillac style air cleaner and who knows what else. It is possible that the dual headlights in that car may also be a custom addition, possibly from a 58 Ford, or one of the aftermarket dual headlight conversions that were available for them. Unless you can get some form of original documentation proving it was factory fitted, I would question it's validity.
Now that I have said all this, someone way more knowledgeable will come on and prove me wrong, haha.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

lalessi1

I have seen the 4 headlight aftermarket conversions before (on paper). I would imagine that is the source of the "8" (maybe dealer installed?). Never heard of true factory 4 headlight '57s... but Ford did some unusual things then. Welcome to the forum, your convertible sounds truly special. Pictures are a lovely thing BTW!
Lynn

JDoug

Thanks for the warm welcomes  :001:...  I did see the car with the claim of the 8 Fairlanes, etc....  I do know Ford has done some weird things like a bench seat Mustang?? Why??  LOL...  Anyway, the Ranchero is a 57 but could have had a 58 front clip, or fenders.. Hard to tell what may have happened in 50+ years..  As for pics, yes, I will have some soon...  Once I unpile stuff from around it.. Once I get started I am sure I will be a daily regular on this site...  Thanks again

JDoug

SkylinerRon

Aftermarket kit. JCWhitney ect.
57 Merc's had a 4 lite option.

Ron.

junior58

The JC Whitney ones look more bug eyed than the ones on that sale car. The sale car ones look like 58 ones, so, to pose the question, does anyone know if the 58 duals fit the 57?
Steve McKnight

SkylinerRon

I would think you could bolt on 58 fenders and modify everything below and beside the lights
to fit. Inner fenders and core support are the same. Frame ends and hood outline too.
But, why? 57's look better than 58's anyhow.

Ron.

junior58

Just curious Ron, wasn't sure if the 58 fenders were different, or if the 58 headlight buckets would fit inside the 57 fenders. The Fairlane for sale that raised this topic looks like it has 58 headlights, so maybe they changed the fenders as well.
Actually, I've found the answer to my own question - the fenders are different, with 57's having a ridge along the top and 58's having a depression. just wonder if the size and shape at the front are different between the two (where the headlights fit in).
Steve McKnight

RICH MUISE

Not positive, but I believe the '58 fenders had a recessed area at the top of the fender where the raised rib is on the '57's.
Kinda hard to tell in the low pixel count pic, but it looks like the front nose was welded to each of the fenders...I'd sure hate to be pulling the nose off that car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Your right Rich. Grooves & ribs.
Looks like someone welded up this car.
Personally i'll take stock over this look.

Ron.