News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vintage Air System

Started by Wirenut, 2015-05-21 20:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Good info...Yes, post some pics
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Good info, yes, post some pics.

Kenny

Ok here are couple of pics.  Original controls with slight mods as follows.
1. Heater fan switch is actually a 3 speed not 2 speed like original.  I elongated the hole into which the switch fits and now all the way down ( as shown) is off.  1,2,3 speeds are up positions.  I did have to fabricate a small bracket to mount the heater switch to the control.  Sorry no pics of this as it is installed.
2. Heat control is identical to original and the supplied cable hooks right up to lever. 
3. Air control also hooks to cable supplied but here it gets different.  Center position as shown is AC off, and heat on from front vents, but not defrost.  As you move the lever to the right it activates AC and supplies cool air to front vents.  Lever all the way to the right is AC off and heat on to defrost and also floor. 
4. I have my LH fresh air vent hooked to the Air Control lever as well so when you move it full left it opens the vent. ( The right hand vent was blocked off to accommodate the evaporator unit.) This was not suggested in the instructions but when I looked at how it all worked this seemed like a good plan to me.  RH vent control knob removed now is my Check Engine Light location.  LH vent control cable also removed now my horn button is there.

I liked this supplier as all the controls were manual and best of all, hooked up to the original dash control.  Of course the dash control labeling is not accurate so I am still trying to find a way to change that to reflect the new arrangement.

Other pics are the center vents that fit perfectly into the old ash tray location and small eyeball vents.  The eyeballs were going to be mounted through the dash but when I started looking at them I feel that having them on the lower part of the dash they can point in any direction including into the seat area and the dash retains the original look.

Kenny

Do not want to highjack thread but here are couple more pics.  Original large glove box will be replaced by Dennis Carpenter AC glovebox (smaller) which clears everything.  Heat and AC lines go through fire wall in the nice billet unit.  Chrome Sanden Compressor is actually from Amazon. I am running a Saginaw (canned ham) power steering pump to supply the Cavalier rack underneath and a company called BC Broncos (who make all kinds of cool stuff for Broncos, and thus 302) supplied a nice bracket to mount both the compressor and pump matching up to the Mustang serpentine system on the 302.

Lines and all ends plus lot of extras where supplied in kit along with dryer, condenser and evaporator/heater unit.  I had lines ends swaged locally once I had length and angles determined.  Dryer sits underneath my battery which just squeezes into the original location.

Couple of other notes.  Engine is a built 1988 MustangGT 302, with Ford Racing B cam, Explorer Heads,  Trickflow intake and high flow injectors fed from new gas tank and fuel injector pump supplied by Bob Drake.  All controlled by Ford Racing MAF computer for 1988 Mustang GT and harness built and adapted by me over the winter.  I really enjoyed the wiring part of this install and was especially happy when it ran on the first try.  Had to replace the wiper system(original hit the big intake manifold)to an after market cable driven system that is in and works but seems flimsy to me and may be replaced later if it fails. Original brakes replaced by Classic Auto power system (disk fronts only) original drum on rear.

RICH MUISE

Very impressive work, Kenny. That air vent setup in the old ash tray position is an idea that could be useful for any installation regadless of manufacturer. I'm surprised at how many guys on this forum are knowledgeable enough to do the wiring on a efi setup.

lalessi1

Thanks for the info. That is truly a beautiful installation!!!!
Lynn