News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Considering RePopping Radiator Spring

Started by lalessi1, 2015-06-04 07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I am thinking about reproducing the Radiator Support Mount Spring. I have a domestic quotation with an initial lot of 50 at a cost of $29.00 each. This is less shipping and without any finish. Tooling costs are half of the first order which means future orders would cost around $15.00.

I feel this part is prone to failure and no one offers these now. Mine was missing half of it, the one I got from a member on the forum was cracked halfway through, and I haven't been able to find one intact.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Is that the complete assembly or just the spring?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

That is just the spring. I do think there may be merit in offering the whole assembly. I would need to source a custom made bolt, the shims, and washers. They shouldn't be that expensive. The bolt and shims are easier to find used though.
Lynn

hiball3985

I think it would be worth it if you can find 49 other people who need one and you don't get stuck with leftovers  :003: Mine is missing so I could use one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I wonder if one could approach resellers like Mac's, Concours Parts, Dennis Carpenter, etc. I am trying to get a feel if my take on the need is valid. I have had amazing success with eBay selling stuff too. 50 seems like a bunch of 'em..... Curious about who on the forum has a need for one and what the "market would bear" price wise.
Lynn

hiball3985

Can you get a prototype from the manufacture to test? Where did you get the specs for the spring rate? Just curious..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

That is actually a good point. A leaf spring's rate (or any spring) is determined by its shape/dimensions first and the material/temper second. The supplier quoting me is using a common spring steel and a standard heat treatment for that type of leaf spring. I imagine that Ford designed the thing with a rate but probably specified the shape/material/ treatment. Just a guess. I plan on sending the one I have to have it "duplicated" dimensionally. I may explore material options just for grins. I am also thinking about paying for the tooling costs up front to reduce unit cost. That would give me a "break even" quantity (with a mark up) and make the spring less expensive initially.

I appreciate the input, that is what I am looking for. I am not trying to sell these thing to forum guys...
Lynn

hiball3985

Does the 1958 and possibly 59 use the same spring, I can't remember from the one 58 I owned years ago..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I definitely would need to get a Ford part number and try to learn what other models share the same part. Anybody know?
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

58 Edsel junior series (Ranger & Pacer) used the identical thing, don't know about the senior series (Corsair & Citation).  No idea of the 59s, either Ford or Edsel.  I can check my 60 when I get home, just don't remember if it used the same setup....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Oddly enough, I believe the '57 retractables are different. I also was wondering about the spring rate. Wouldn't it be nice if someone had access to the original blueprints for all parts!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Retracts are different.
I posted some info on this a while back.
Can check my books tomorrow for interchanges.

Ron.

lalessi1

I calculated the spring rate to be .0109 in/lb. Turns out spring steels have generally the same modulus of elasticity which is the only variable in the equation that determines deflection based on spring dimensions and load. I looked in the Concours Parts Catalog and found a diagram that shows what seems to be a coil spring for 51A models in place of the flat spring. Looks like the frame support is different though. (It occurred to me that I might be able to use standard belleville washers in a series stack to match the height and spring rate of the flat spring.) I spoke to the manufacturer again and if I paid for the tooling costs upfront the unit price drops to $12 for 200. The new flat spring would be superior to the original due to improvements in spring steel manufacturing and dramatic improvements in heat treatment.

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-06-05 02:16
Retracts are different.
I posted some info on this a while back.
Can check my books tomorrow for interchanges.

Ron.

Ron, If you could get me a part number and other models that this part would fit it would be greatly appreciated!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

One way to test the new part vs the old would be to sandwich the spring between two heavy steel bars drilled for a center bolt. A torque wrench could then be used to see how many ft lbs it takes to compress the spring. I realize the problem is your going to be testing a 50+ year old part that probably has lost some resiliance, but at least you'd have an idea of the new range vs the old ones we'd be replacing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I tested the spring I have to check the calculated rate. I put it on a flat surface upside down, put  20 lbs on it and measured the deflection. It was pretty close to the calculated deflection. I am very confident in the calculated spring rate, I used an MIT website for the formula. Flat single leaf springs are pretty simple. The .090" clearance in the bulletin on how to set up the front support makes more sense to me now.
Lynn