News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Grant Steering Wheel Horn Button

Started by JimNolan, 2015-10-30 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys, I did something I'm proud of so I thought I'd share it with you. I put a Grant steering wheel on my 57 and didn't want to alter the wire and spring assembly the 57 Ford already had. So, I used a spring about twice the size of a fountain pen spring, light compression type and soldered it to a small washer that's used to help clamping of a pop rivet. I then took a counter sink and made it's little 1/8" hole bigger and would capture and set on top of the original horn wire cap in the steering column. I then threaded the other end into the center terminal of the Grant horn button. Straightened the little spring assembly to point straight down and locked the horn button down on the steering wheel. Now if I decide to go back to the original steering wheel I won't be screwed.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 imposter

necessity is the mother of invention. I could have looked at that for a month and not come up with that solution.

JimNolan

I wish I'd have taken a picture of it for you guys. It worked so well, it astounded me. It was easily made and it didn't alter the Grant horn button or the original Ford horn assembly. I read in a Grant installation paper to cut the old wire. After 59 years that wire deserved more respect. lol
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

I had a Grant wheel on my car in 1967, If I remember the adapter was designed to work with the stock horn. I bought another one last year and I tried to get it to work with my "58" steering box. My "design" worked for a while but it started shorting out occasionally in turns blowing the horn...It is in a box now for another project one day.... Sounds like you did a great job!
Lynn

SkylinerRon

Those Grant horn buttons were a royal pain.
Seemed they were always braking the bakelite ring when you pressed the
horn button.
Hope you have goodluck with it.

Ron.