News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford smallblock I.D help

Started by Frankenstein57, 2008-04-05 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, I need to draw on your knowledge. Last fall I bought an engine on ebay, it was listed as a 5.0 remanufactured engine for a 1990 ford van. I got it for 535$ and a trip from Wisconsin to Iowa.The engine was a good rebuild, new pistons, valves,cam, rod work, ect. Here is the catch, we had a nice warm spring day today, I'm outside washing up a 5.0 dummy block and parts i'll use to fab up motor mounts and such. I compare the 5.0 parts to the engine I bought, the rebuilt piece is wider and taller. I think its a 351. The tag on the stock covers says 5.8L-8HM  E8AE-9C485, the # on the block above the oil pan is E9AE-6G15-AA-9  the sixth letter could also be a  O . I think this is a 351, not the end of the world. A little less gas mileage, a little more power. Will my mustang bellhousing and T-5 5 speed still work? Can I use a 50 oz flywheel and balancer like the 5.0? What are guys using for an oil pan in the 57? I have some mustang shorty headers, and motor mounts, should be ok there. thanks in advance for your help,,Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Mark :006:
   5.8 comes out as a 351 78 or 9 car going buy the part # on cover and block.  My son has a 351 in his 57 came out of a 69 Cougar.  The only thing we changed was the oil pan and that came off a pickup trk. Had to space the motor mounts off the block by 1" for drag link clearance. We used the Cougar exhaust manifold's. I also did this same swap in a 54 Merc using a 68 Galaxie  351 only changing the pan and spacing the motor mounts.

TOM   :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

wv 57s forever

:006:
i have a 351 in mine, the shorty headers would not fit on it ,the drivers side hit the steering box the best that i can remember. as 4 the bell housing it should be fine i am not so sure about the flywheel and balancer. i am using headers for a 67 or 68 fairlaine on mine, but i guess it all would depend on how the motor bolts to the frame.

Frankenstein57

I plan to run a rack n' pinion, so the headers might be ok. I'm not sure about it being a 79 engine, its got multiport fuel injection intake on it. Which they said was on the van. Anyone have a cross reference book?  Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Mark :006:
    I'm sorry E stands for 80's not 70's as I stated.

TOM  :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

Good score man....351 better...more cubes.  351 W is 28 oz balance, so flywheel and balancer wont work, but T5 bell and 5 speed will bolt right up...That's what I had in mine before I bought the Tremec, never even drove it with the T5.  I used a Milodon T pan in mine, good ground clearance, nice gold irridite finish.  For a mild or stock motor, though, any 351 W front sump passenger car pan will work.  Mustang headers should work, as well.  Sounds like a great start, send me some photos when you can, I am always looking for newsletter material..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

James, thanks for the input. I'm still a bit unsure about the balance issue, if what I read is correct- the early 351's had an external balance requirement, while the newer engines could be mated with the 50 oz flywheel and balancer. With the mustang bellhousing, do I need the 164 tooth flywheel, or 157? I put in a call to the mustang depot in California, they sell alot of nice smallblock parts on ebay. They might be closed on Saturday. When I get this project on the frame jig, I'll keep you posted. The plan is for some interesting updates on the chassis and running gear. thanks, Mark

JPotter57

I think all 351s are 28 oz balance.  My 94 E150 had a 28 oz balance on the 351W in it, and my dad has a 96 351 W core, and it also has 28 oz balance.  I'm pretty sure that the flywheel for the T5 bell is a 157 tooth unit. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

Jim, just as you said-the 28oz flywheel, and 157 tooth. Just got off the phone with the mustang depot. thanks, Mark