News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front grille mounting brackets?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-08-18 16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Grille assembly...I think I'm missing some things. On each side of the grille on the bottom where it narrows, there are 1/4" square holes. There are slots on the backside of the splashpan corresponding to these holes, just further back. I'm guessing there is suppose to be  brackets that span the distance between the slot and the hole??
I do have the main bracket that bolts to the splashpan and grille at the centerpoint.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Sandiaman

Here is a schematic

lalessi1

Here is a pic of mine....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks Sandia and Lynn.....I'll do some searching tommorrow. Now I know exactly what I'm looking for. lol...standby Lynn...if I can't find them I may ask you to do some measuring for me.

Ray

I probably have a couple extra. If not, Steve Pearce in 29 Palms will have them.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

Thanks Ray. I'll let you know, but as simple as the bracket is, it'll be faster just to make up a pair if I need to.
BTW, I lived in Huntington Beach for 6 years.....way back when I could look out my front door and "see strawberry fields forever".

Sandiaman

I have one only.

RICH MUISE

I found my two...they are soaking in evapo-rust as we speak. Thanks again guys for the info...if I hadn't known what I was looking for, I may have overlooked them since they were in a bag marked "front fender".

Ecode70D

I'm glad that you figured that out Rich.   Little details like that drive me nuts.

Limey57

Aha........ I now know what the two brackets that I found in the bottom of a box are for!  The only problem is I have fitted everything without them, is it really impossible to fit them after the grille is in place?  If so I'll put them back in the box and forget about them, I'm not dismantling the front end again!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

Nothing is impossible??? I would try to do it!!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I think there's enough room to work...just drop the stud into the slot while holding the bracket with some long locking tweezers or needlenose. Those two studs are 5/16-24 (fine thread), btw.

Ecode70D

I just found my rusty old set stashed in a parts box.  Looks like I'm going to have to get some of that evapo rust stuff that Rich was talking about and clean them up so they can be installed. 
   Funny thing is that I didn't miss them when I didn't know that they were not on the car.  What color are they supposed to be?  If someone knows, please post it. Thanks  Jay

RICH MUISE

Lol...I think the correct color apparently is "rust"....seem to be what we all have. I suspect black, but just a guess. It's what mine are now.
The evaporust worked great, but had I sandblasting stuff easy to get to, That would have worked as well.
Not related to the grille brackets, but does anyone know what the two little brackets in the pic are for? They were in a bag with a bunch of fender screws with a note saying "the two brackets are for the headlight bezels"...I'm just not sure if these are the two brackets I was refering to 10 years ago?

Limey57

Mine aren't all that rusty (California car and the brackets were boxed when it got to England) and they appear to be some sort of zinc plating (silver).  I'm going to try and fit mine next week.
Gary

1957 Ranchero