News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stock 302 build-up question

Started by robhaerr, 2008-04-09 10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

I have a 302 (1970) that a friend offered up for a few hundred bucks that was rebuilt about 25 years ago and never fired. It was supposed to go into a '69 Cougar, but the project was scrapped. I talked to the guy who rebuilt it...a local engine guru who has had a fine career and great respect at a local engine machine shop. He says it's a great opportunity to take it apart, re-lube, and it's good to go. My friend and I will do the tear-down and rebuild to save the $800-1500 that the local engine guru would charge to do it.

This is going to replace the Chevy 350 that a previous owner so misguidedly installed.

My question...

I want to hop the 302 up a bit from stock (but keep it very dependable with a reasonable cost) by adding the following parts...

Edelbrock Performer intake manifold #2121 and cam #2122
Rochester Quadrajet carb (already have it running on the Chevy 350 that is in my wagon)
Doug's shorty or tri-y headers like on 57AGIN's

What do you think the horsepower will be after those modest additions?

It will be mated to a C4 (haven't found it, yet)

Thanks, guys...

bagboy

Motor turn over?If so,put a LITTLE ATF in cyl and rotate.Think about AOD trans,love that OD!!!

ranchero57

Hi Rob
I agree with bagboy about the trans.Find an a.o.d.not an a.o.d. e.they are tough as nails and are easy to find as they were used from early 80s into the 90s.I would get one from an f-150 in that year range.The aode is computer controlled but the regular aod is controlled by the carb.linkage.I sent you some info by email ,hope you got it.On your engine,find some one with a borescope and get them to look at the cylinders (for rust)through the spark plug holes.If the engine has had sparkplugs in it all this time and a plate over the carb.hole in the manifold and has been stored inside,you may be o.k.If you find an engine rebuilder specializing in race engines that has a run in stand,you might want to bring engine there to have it run and analysed for oil pressure and compression(after run in).This would be a lot less expense than tearing it apart to see.Around here they charge 250 to do this.I have a company I deal with that can supply you with cam,lifters,manifolds etc.and save you a lot of money.You can build the 302 to make 300 hp with the proper combination of parts and be reliable.My email is ansonholley@bellsouth.net if you need info or companys phone numbers that I deal with,dont hesitate.Ranchero57--campy

JPotter57

Ditto on the AOD...I have one in my `74 F100.  Got it out of an `85 Mercury Grand Marquis....definitely cuts down your cruise rpms...
Glad to see a Blue Oval going back in that good looking wagon...
I'd consider looking for a small Holley or Edelbrock carb.  You'll have to use an adapter to fit the Quadrajet onto any Ford intake, plus the secondaries are pretty big, not really the best carb for small cubic inch engines.  You can probably swap a Bowtie fan for a decent 600 Holley if you're lucky. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

robhaerr

Thanks, guys...

Edelbrock parts are on the top of the list...the carb, too. The AOD is certainly on the list, too.

Quote from: ranchero57 on 2008-04-10 20:04
I have a company I deal with that can supply you with cam,lifters,manifolds etc.and save you a lot of money.You can build the 302 to make 300 hp with the proper combination of parts and be reliable.My email is ansonholley@bellsouth.net if you need info or companys phone numbers that I deal with,dont hesitate.Ranchero57--campy

I am all ears about these parts you mention, Campy! Listing them here may helps others, too. So far, I was planning on getting the Edelbrock 2121 manifold, 2122 cam(?), 1406 carb (600 cfm ?) through Summit Racing or Jegs. These are "mild performance" parts. I want to keep dependable, but with some oooomf.

Thanks for your input!

robhaerr

We disassembled this motor that has been sitting for 27 years...302 rebuilt but never started. Bored .060 over.

It was very cool to see that everything looks perfect...no rust in the cylinders...the lube still looked and felt very good. This engine could have been started.

Better safe than sorry...the reassembly will include a mild Edelbrock Performer cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM carb...just so everything matches for a nice cruiser.

I might post a YouTube video clip...

Rob