News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 HE color code ?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2015-08-24 09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

HE ?
I would be interested in what color combo that is ? ( E is Colonial White).
on a Sept 9th Long Beach built Del Rio.
my 49-59 Ford parts manual doesn't list an H code for 57.
for 1958, H is listed as Gun Metal Gray. (57 lists N)
is it possible that it was a special order or used 58 codes because of the late build date ?
interior of the car was red white. definitely a 57car and 57 VIN tag.

Thor

djfordmanjack,

From what I could find it was Gunmetal gray and it was added in the spring.

I found it on this website:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=paint&paint=5562&wtcode=M0897&smodel=Fairlane&syear=1957&smanuf=Ford&sname=Gunmetal Gray

Sandiaman

I see a Platinum Gray in 56 and a Gunmetal Gray in 58 No H code in 57. E is White.

Lou

"H" is a spring color "Gunmetal gray" Ford added spring colors to all their cars from 1954 to the mid 60s. Most of the guys selling paint charts don't include the spring color page.

djfordmanjack

great information, thanx to all !
I just checked my og 57 Ford Dupont color charts and sure enough there is the information about the spring colors ! there is the N code gun metal gray and another H code Gunmetal gray #2 for spring 57. from the samples it seems that the GM Gray #2 (H code) is lighter than the N code. same goes for the Mocha Silver and Mocha Silver #2 in spring. I have no idea why they did that and if those metallic colors had different shades in early/late production. Does anybody know bout it ?
Why would they introduce two different hues under the same name but different codes ? I am stunned.

lalessi1

This is absolutely incredible, who would have ever guessed that there were"spring colors"! Just another insight into the past I guess. I used to see repairs back then with horribly color mismatched body panels....spring colors, who knew!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

When I picked the dark tarnished silver color for my car, I thought it would be easy...had a 2003(?)hhr chevy color code. When I went to the paint shop and found the color in his big books of paint chips, he said hold on...and came out with at least a dozen paint chip cards of variations of that same color code. I've got to make darn sure I don't lose the number for the specific one I chose.
So...'57's had two variations, what's the big deal? lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Thor

djfordmanjack

Thanx Thor. I had read the story about that incredible car before but missed the VIN details.
The color/trim combo is absolutely striking. it even has green tint glass.

here's from the second link

clark w. nungesser
VIN F7FT308710 First F= 312 supercharged. The 7= year 1957. The second F=Dearborn. The T=Fairlane/500 2 or 4 dr. 308710 = sequence number. 58B=4dr Twn Sedan. HT=Gunmetal gray and Woodsmoke gray. 12F build date= 12june. 2 = 3spd overdrive. 3=3.70 This car looks real. What a beautiful car and very unique. Way out of my price range!

djfordmanjack

Rich, with todays poly and pearl colors there are many different shades of one color. it depends on the manufacturer and brand of the paint. I have been told by professional car paint people, that the (real) mother of pearl of an Asian shell will have a different look than an African or South American shell. It depends where the paint companies buy their stuff from. my friend Michi of local House of Custom paint has thousands of modern car paint formulas and up to 10 different shades each, depending where and when the car was produced. still they don't get it right frequently... :003:
I do know that period 1950s Volkswagen were painted metallic colors too and they faded very quickly. I once investigated those formulas and they have up to 65% Aluminium pigments. thats why they quickly fade. when you rub through the paint, the Aluminium flakes will easily polish to a silvery shine but left in the elements it will fade to a grayish color within weeks. Volkswagen discontinued these metallic colors by 1959 (after 5 years) and only used standard colors over the next 20 years.
maybe Ford had to rearrange their metallic paint for technical reasons??
the only other 57 Ford spring color on my charts is flame red. which we all know, red is another color prone to fading.