News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

winterizing

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2015-10-01 09:41

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

this has probly been put on the forum before,  but,  i'll ask again.    would it be better to top off the gas tank or,  drain it?,     i know the gas now has some water in it,  or even just use stabilizer?,  what are your thoughts?,   thanks   jerry

John Palmer

My vote........Move to Southern California.......or use Sta-Bil, drive the car a few miles to the gas station to mix it up good, and fill the gas tank.  Have you ever tried to dump all of the gas out of a gas tank?  It's almost impossible.  The radiator shops used to punch a small hole in the corner to drain the gas and water out while working on the tanks, then solder a penny over the hole.

Make sure you "plug in" the battery maintainer for the winter.

geraldchainsaw

since i don't c any feed back,   u all must agree,   stabilizer is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICH MUISE

Nope I don't agree...I don't want to move to SoCal...been there done that. I do agree on fill the tank, and definetly stabil. I hate that winter's coming.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

fill the tank...maybe jack it up by the frame so the tires don't flat spot...mouse proof, dry storage!!  If you can't do mouse proof, feed the **** out of them with De-Con... away from your car not in it.  I'm not a Sta-Bil fan.  The fine print says it is good up to six months.  I've worked on carbs with bad Sta-Bil in them (stored more than six months).  Sta-Bil turns to red, very hard plastic.  Nothing softened it.  I drilled the stuff out.

Full tank of gas with no air will sit over winter.  I've stored full tanks of E85 over winter with no issues.

JimNolan

Well, I winterized my car today. Put on two new Town and Country mud and snows, topped off the anti-freeze, put the good windshield wiper fluid in the pouch. I'm ready. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hotroddonnie

I've heard talk of seafoam! I don't know much about this stuff or where to even get it. HRD

djfordmanjack

I always fill the tank up as much as possible without stabilizer.
I picked up a can of 'DampRid' at Walmart to put inside the car. it should prevent the interior from mold and bad odor. they come in a gallon bucket for RVs.

pepfalcon

jim nolan. now that's my idea of winterizing them. drive em. lol