News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear disc brake conversion

Started by clusterbuster, 2015-09-03 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Sorry, I meant to post the phone number as well for Right Stuff in case anyone needs it.     1-800-405-2000.

RICH MUISE

Great info......funny, this was the first time you mentioned the "right Stuff" name. That was the kit I was going to order from Jegs, not realizing it was the same. I guess you found better pricing on Ebay, so I'll check with that source you mentioned earlier in the thread. Thanks again. It'll probably be at least a  month or so before I can order it....deciding to go with the rear end mods is going to make $ tight for a while.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

Yes Rich, I have found drastic price differences for the same exact parts quite a few times. I know as well that the bucks get really tight at times too. Glad I don't have much more to do. Probably will rebuild the front suspension this winter when the snow has the ground covered here in Pennsylvania. Also probably will put a pair of air shocks on the rear, as I found a set of new Monroe's that have just about the same extended and compressed length that the 55 Ford shocks have.  By the way, I found out that a 14 inch steel wheel will not work with this kit and if you want to someday eliminate the calipers with the parking brake, I  also found out that the 1982 Chevy Camero calipers will work.

RICH MUISE

Cluster...just to verify what I think I'm reading on the Right Stuff installation sheets I downloaded.....the axel retainer plate that replaces the stock retainer plate is attached after the axel is in the car and, because of it's open horseshoe design, is not assembled prior to the bearing being pressed on the the axel...correct?
If that is the case, why does the axel need to be removed?

clusterbuster

Rich, Don't forget that the axle has to be removed in order to remove the backing plate. The spacer that comes with the kit I bought does not have the horseshoe design spacer that takes the place of the backing plate. It is a closed end deal and bolts on when you reinstall the axle. The kit also states that some machining might have to be done to cut down the circumference of some axle flanges. I lucked out as mine is around 6 inches give or take an eighth. I believe the kit fits more than one year Ford car, so that is probably where that comes into play. My brackets bolted right up with no issues. As I said before the parking brake deal takes the most time. Also,I bought new gaskets for where the spacer bolts to the axle housing.

clusterbuster

Rich, as I re read your post, I think you were concerned with the the axle retainer and not the spacer. Guess I read it too fast. The stock axle retainer attached to the axle shaft does not get removed. I viewed the video that you watched and they removed the axle retainer. This kit allows for keeping your retainer. Just pull the axle, pull the backing plate, install the spacer plus new gasket and throw the axle back in.

RICH MUISE

I didn't watch the video, just read their printed instructions. First off, is the kit that Tom's classic's sells in fact a Right stuff kit? Tom's doesn't show a manufacturer's name or pn. I'll go back and find the video you posted a link to and watch it. I had fogotten about that.
What I'm trying to figure out at this point is if I need to order the kit before the shop that is going to modify my differential can finish it up. In other words, are there parts in the kit that have to be installed before the bearings for the axel are pressed on?

clusterbuster

No Rich, there are no parts that have to be installed. As far as being a right Stuff kit, it is not. It looks identical except by what I see in the pictures, the housing spacer is open ended instead of closed like in my kit. They all use the same calipers according to the people at Right Stuff.The instructions are good except for the bleeding and parking brake adjustment, and the video info I posted takes care of that.

clusterbuster

Rich, I assume you axle is the small bearing? The large bearing might be a different story.

RICH MUISE

It's small bearing now, but I'm having it changed to the big bearing. I was wondering if there was a difference in how the kits install. The instructios I downloaded talked about a spacer behind the 1st bracket, but they don't show it in their exploded components-included view. Tom's shows what I assume is the 1/8 spacer, but it's not u-shaped like the bracket, so I guess it would have to be put on before the bearing is installed on the axel. Once again..that's my main question at this point...if I need to have that kit on hand when the shop assembles the differential.

clusterbuster

That I can't tell you. My kit has the 4 hole spacer that goes on the end of the housing and then the primary bracket also fits up against the spacer. Then the axle is slid in with putting the axle flange over the same 4 bolts. I believe the video I watched a couple weeks ago was a large bearing deal where the existing axle flange had to be cut off with using the kit. Wouldn't hurt to call Right Stuff at the number I posted and get their take on what you plan to do with changing to the large bearing. Good luck.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2015-09-29 19:51
That I can't tell you. My kit has the 4 hole spacer that goes on the end of the housing and then the primary bracket also fits up against the spacer. Then the axle is slid in with putting the axle flange over the same 4 bolts. I believe the video I watched a couple weeks ago was a large bearing deal where the existing axle flange had to be cut off with using the kit. Wouldn't hurt to call Right Stuff at the number I posted and get their take on what you plan to do with changing to the large bearing. Good luck.
Clusterbuster.........can you please tell me, is the parking/emergency brake set up in this kit, the ratcheting G.M style ?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I have not been able to find the video you are talking about. All I could find was a short one on bleeding and adjusting the e-cable.

clusterbuster

Blue Oval, the calipers are from the 80's Eldorado, Riveria, and Toranado if that helps.

clusterbuster

Rich, I am sorry but I can't remember where I got that video. It was before I bought my kit and I was hunting information. I will hunt for it, and if I find it, I will let you know.