News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Add a Leaf

Started by JimNolan, 2015-09-14 08:24

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys, have any of you used an "Add a Leaf" extra spring to your 57 Ford. If you have, how did you like the resulting ride and height. I need more support than my regular springs but I hate to have the back end of the car jacked up too high. There's two types from what I see, one curved to follow the spring curve and one extra think and straight. If anyone used this product let me know how you liked them. Thanks, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

John Palmer

Quote from: JimNolan on 2015-09-14 08:24
Guys, have any of you used an "Add a Leaf" extra spring to your 57 Ford. If you have, how did you like the resulting ride and height. I need more support than my regular springs but I hate to have the back end of the car jacked up too high. There's two types from what I see, one curved to follow the spring curve and one extra think and straight. If anyone used this product let me know how you liked them. Thanks, Jim

Jim, Take the car to your local Spring Shop.  Have them "re-arch" your existing springs, or "add another leaf" to your springs.  They can do anything you desire, AND still keep the ride height the same.  They will charge you about $150 to remove, rebuild, and reinstall both springs.  They will even bend up new U-Bolts to fit your spec.

We have two spring shops in my area that have been in the same locations for the past 100 years.  Devers in Santa Ana, CA, and Atlas Spring in City of Industry, CA.  They are both very good.  I'm sure if you ask the local truck shop, or four wheel drive shop in your area, they will tell you where they have their springs done.

RICH MUISE

Sounds like good advise, but also...are your current springs 4 leaf or 6 leaf? McVeighs sells both. Apparently the Rancheros and wagons, and police cars came with the 6 leaf.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

My current springs are about 10 years old, they ride fine, they make the car set level too. Trouble is, I'm setting the body down on the driveshaft now when I drag race using those slicks. I need something to enable me to keep what I got when I drive it normally and keep the body off the driveshaft when I drag race it.

rmk57

Sounds like you need a pinion snubber or wedges to change the pinion angle if it's rubbing the floor pan.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

Jim, how about adding a set of ''airbags'' like lots of guys put on trucks to help balance loads. Leave them deflated on the street and pump them up as little as needed at the strip. u-haul (and others) sell them the kind that clamp on top of your springs.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

SkylinerRon

google Airlift airbags.

JimNolan

I'll do that. Thanks guys. Jim