News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally, my build thread..

Started by JPotter57, 2015-09-21 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Looking great, James. That was pretty much the color mine was going to be originally. Hey...I need that door!!, lol. Good luck with the job thing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

James you're looking good!  While painting I use the graduated cups to mix.  Single stage and clear urethanes as you know will not last.  Life can be extended for about a day buy placing in a refrigerator.  I mix a gun load at a time, maybe two loads depending on where I am with the application.  Base coats are thinned in an empty reducer can (gallon) to keep the same density for the entire process.  I found my gun will make one lap around a 65 Bird and still have about 1/4 of clear left so I mix just short of a full gun for the second and lay it down pretty heavy.  Hope this doesn't sound down to ya, just relaying my procedure to keep from throwing out material.  And do get that mask!  That paint puts out some nasty stuff that will totally mess up your lungs!

Keep the faith, the job thing will sort out....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Yeah, I just went and bought a bunch of those cups, pretty cheap actually.  I wont be wasting any more color, that stuff is spendy.  Once I get this thing all red, I will go over it with 800 or so, and buff it to get rid of the orange peel.   This paint is supposed to be mixed just with the activator, but is just so thick.  I ordered some reducer and used it on the roof, and there is some oem looking orange peel that I just dont want to live with.  I will buff it out and it should look pretty good.Yeah, I picked up a new 3M mask yesterday.  My other one was to the point where the elastic in the straps were coning apart, so I bought one with adjustable straps instead of the elastic.  I like the new  one a lot better.  I have to go out and get some lacquer thinner to clean my gun with before I paint again, and some tape and paper.  I went out specifically for that yesterday, and forgot it.  Have to shop for bargains on that stuff.  What I need, is a couple sunday papers, lol.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Progress...have a couple small runs to deal with, plus buffing the whole thing to shine it up a bit more.  I did see a couple places i missed, very small, not worrying about it at this point.  This is single stage urethane so it can be fixed anytime.  The body us certainly better than when i got it, and probably as good or better than when it left Ford.  I tend to be nitpicky when looking at bodywork anyway.  At any rate, i am pretty happy with the results..
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Old, loud, and fast.

Marc

Ford Blue blood

It is the right color and it is looking gooooooooood!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

another with the top unwrapped..
Old, loud, and fast.

billd5string

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

Got my doors and hinges painted last night.  The driver side, I may have to block back down a scratch appeared after it dried.  Missed a sand scratch, wont take much to fix it, then a little more paint.  Plus a winged critter flew into it and wallowed around for a minute before I could pick him out.  Didn't mess it up to bad.  At least it came out straight...
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

the one that still needs help..
Old, loud, and fast.

lalessi1

James, I know its just pictures, but the doors look great from here... Great job!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Exactly what I was thinking. Looking good, James!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

SWEET looking color! Gonna be one snazzy looker!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker