News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-04-13 01:53
the lower one is the drivers kickpanel molding, as you said. the other 2 are the garnsih moldings for where the headliner meets the rear liftgate opening. they are screwed to the body.

Ah - that makes sense. I was holding up to anywhere trim was missing, but I didn't think of the headliner. Thanks!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

terry_208

I believe the small pieces you mentioned maybe where the sun visor/sun visor delete goes.  On my sedan, I have a visor on the driver's side and a delete on the passenger side.  IIRC, they cover about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4"
Terry

billd5string

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-04-13 09:44
I believe the small pieces you mentioned maybe where the sun visor/sun visor delete goes.  On my sedan, I have a visor on the driver's side and a delete on the passenger side.  IIRC, they cover about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4"

That makes perfect sense. I have the visors but I left them in the box because they were pretty nasty.

Thanks! I'll check that out when I get home!
I love it when a car comes together!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

Here are a couple pics of the 460 I'll be using. It was rebuilt in the distant past but never fired so I'll go through it with fresh assembly lube before I install and start it. I'm also upgrading the cam, springs and rockers.

It must have came out of a '68 Lincoln so that got me thinking... will that make my Del Rio at hot rod Lincoln? Not a model A body so I guess not. But still a funny thought to me.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

djfordmanjack

I have to change what I said. yes the middle one is for the rear headliner to body. the upper molding in the pic is for the rear wheelwell. it keeps the original vinyl lining to the wheelwells.( on cargo floor level).

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-04-13 08:37
Ah - that makes sense. I was holding up to anywhere trim was missing, but I didn't think of the headliner. Thanks!

RICH MUISE

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-04-13 10:58

It must have came out of a '68 Lincoln so that got me thinking... will that make my Del Rio at hot rod Lincoln? Not a model A body so I guess not. But still a funny thought to me.
I know the feeling well.....my 4.6 dohc is from a Lincoln MKVIII. Yours is more traditional than mine for sure, so probably yours is closer to falling into the hot rod category, mine more street rod????
"Street Rod Lincoln".....hmmmm....doesn't flow well does it, lol
Guys will be debating what the definition of a hot rod is forever.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

racton

:unitedstates:Hot rods dont have fenders racton....

billd5string

Quote from: racton on 2017-04-14 15:40
:unitedstates: Hot rods dont have fenders racton....

I haven't heard that distinction in years!  :003:
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

canadian_ranchero

i call my wagon with the 4.6 lincoln mark viii motor a sleeper.looks stock but you can surprise people at the lights :003:

billd5string

I thought the evening light was lighting up the car in a cool way, so had to try to capture the image.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2017-04-14 19:04
i call my wagon with the 4.6 lincoln mark viii motor a sleeper.looks stock but you can surprise people at the lights :003:

I've had three 4.6 mod motors in 2 cars and a F150 (all 2 valve motors). I think they're great and had good luck with them, but it never would have occurred to me to put one in a '57 - I suppose mostly because I deal with computers all day, and have no desire to have a computer to deal with in my fun car. But I think it is extremely impressive how many of you guys have gotten the 4.6's into your cars.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-04-14 21:02
I thought the evening light was lighting up the car in a cool way, so had to try to capture the image.
I was jealous when you found that car and still am.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-04-14 21:08
I've had three 4.6 mod motors in 2 cars and a F150 (all 2 valve motors). I think they're great and had good luck with them, but it never would have occurred to me to put one in a '57 - I suppose mostly because I deal with computers all day, and have no desire to have a computer to deal with in my fun car. But I think it is extremely impressive how many of you guys have gotten the 4.6's into your cars.
the other thing i like is how well it runs,just like a new car and gets almost 28 miles per US gal.i have not seen too many big blocks get that kind of mpg :003:

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-04-14 21:02
nice wagon. my wagon is red and white also.jealous of your nice weather.had a spring snow storm today,have about 3 inches of wet snow :005:

billd5string

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-04-04 15:09
The addition of a clutch pedal to a manual brake pedal is fairly straight forward as previously outlined.  Several years of pedals will fit.  The hanging of a clutch master cylinder is much harder.  The pedal/master cylinder connection point is different from the manual linkage connection point.  The ratio on mine was 6 to 1.  Measure from the center of the pedal pivot shaft hole to the center of the pedal pad.  The master cylinder must top out at the top of the pedal swing and bottom out with the pedal contact with the floor.  If the MC bottoms before the pedal bottoms against the floor, the pedal will need a block.  As the pedal swings, there is a slight arc on the travel of the pedal connection point.  The MC must be placed so the bore aligns with the center of that arc.  Clear as mud and hard to do.  I hope this helps you.  It is NOT meant to discourage you.  Hydraulic clutch throwout bearings are the greatest.  Even with the extra work, I will never install manual linkage again.  The smoothness and lack of pedal effort is worth the work!  I built an extension on the side of my pedal to move the MC left to clear the brake MC.

Thanks Gasman. I followed your approach and have installed clutch and brake pedals from another 57, drilled a hole for the hydraulic lever 2 inches from the pivot (12 inches to the pedal, so 6:1 ratio) and mounted my wilwood clutch cylinder aligned with that hole, but a little to the left where there is a relatively flat part of the firewall. I have a wilwood pushrod kit on order, once that gets here I should have it completed. And gosh darn, I am now pretty committed to a manual transmission.  :burnout:
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500